Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Afraid to lose everything... Hdd problem

• Please log in to reply

DreamlessKai

DreamlessKai

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello there.
I had a ton of problems with my laptop for almost 2 months.after trying a lot of things to fix it. I gave up . So I took it today to à repair shop and after checking it out he told me that my hdd has (0 read or write...Can't remember )and he said that I need to get a new hdd for it. I asked him to install one but the issue here is that I have a lot of things I use for my work on it and I don't want to lose them. He told he's going to try to recover the maximum amount of data but he's not sure if he's going to succeed. I'd like to know what's the problem here because just before taking it for repairs I managed to copy my windows licence key that was on a text document to a USB... By going through windows automatic repair+cmd commands.
Please tell me that there is a way to copy stuff to the new drive.....
Sorry for my English I'm French.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello DreamlessKai,

Can I ask first of all if you have the computer in your possession or is it still in the store.

Bit confused btw, is this the same computer as in your thread here where I advised some time ago that the HDD was bad, reason I ask is because you post that you had a new HDD and SSD and that all was well.

DreamlessKai

DreamlessKai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No this is my girlfriend's pc. An asus.... And I don't have it with me...

DreamlessKai

DreamlessKai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I feel like this hdd fail curse is following me... I became so paranoid that I need to backup everything on my personal laptop.... Please help

DreamlessKai

DreamlessKai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm glad you came because I wanted your help because you helped me last time but I didn't know how to message you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Be glad to help but never fear GTG has plenty of reliable helpers.

You ideally need to have the computer with you and not at the tech store or elsewhere.

Do you have a blank disk and access to a disk burner on a computer that has an internet connection, you will also need an external USB storage device of adequate capacity for all your data.

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page.  

DreamlessKai

DreamlessKai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I do have this on my pc. But i only have a 64 gb USB...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

While you wait to gain access to the computer you need to see if you can either borrow more large capacity USB thumb drives or an external USB HDD.

Please note that any programs cannot be backed up, only the likes of documents, music, pictures, photos and videos can.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you DreamlessKai , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated