Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some questions about Avast Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Greetings.

I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble playing with them. Hence, my question here. To keep me from getting myself in trouble.

Just started using Avast Antivirus. Looking around in it, found Cleanup Premium. Here's what it found in mine:

Broken registery items: deletes broken entries. (App files, Command history, MUI cache, Shared DLL's.)

System junk: frees disk space. Cleans backup files, temp files, log files

Here is why I'm confused. I run Ccleaner. Several forums say not to run the built-in registery cleaner. Leave it alone. But this antivirus wants to to the same thing Ccleaner does. Is it safe to let this antivirus clean this stuff?

Thanks.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

I think the Cleanup Premium feature isn't available on the Free version of Avast and that is something I will never use or recommend.

The reason is exactly the same you mentioned it doesn't worth the risk and there are free tools that you can use to do the really needed tasks some already included on Windows.

Found this guide https://www.winhelp....irus-on-a-diet/that basically show how to install Avast Antivirus without extra stuff that is not needed for most users...

What Operating System do you have?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Edit by paws: my apologies Rui, I really must learn to type a little quicker!

Hi tjmcs,
Its a good question you ask, and it has to be your call.

However the use of Registry Cleaners and optimizers is generally not recommended, for routine use as sometimes they can cause more trouble than they are worth. If the Registry needs attention it should only be performed under the guidance/supervision of an expert trained in that area. He or she would then be likely able to fix any problems that could arise from the use of automated tools.

The broken Registry items you mention are unlikely to pose any problems for your computer and trying to fix them using an automated tool is unlikely to result in a discernable performance improvement.

The use of automated registry Cleaners is heavily advertised and some folks swear by them (whilst others swear at them!) for what its worth I never ever use them on my machines and they have never had an automated registry cleaner any where near them, and they all run just fine...

A wise step is to regularly make a disc image of your computer's hard drive (with at least one verified copy kept safe offsite on removable media,) and use the facility to create a System Restore Point whenever you make alterations to your computer's system files(or allow an automated procedure to do so)

Having said all of the above its always a good idea to have a back up of your Registry on a regular basis( but this is not to be confused with Registry Cleaning or Optimization.
Hope this helps
Regards
paws

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

@Paws: No problem :)

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Thank you for the answers, guys. Thought it was a little shaky but when a big name antivirus company offers it as part of their product (even on the free product, the clean up tool is fully fucntional), I had to ask. Like I said, I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

For the record, I'm running Win7 Home.

Joshua Brings

Joshua Brings

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the answers. I am always worried about the use of automatic registry cleaners. Very well said tech experts.