Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Hear Myself Through Gaming Headset (Resolved).

Best Answer Jenna91 , 05 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Okay I have success!   To be concise, the issue was what we both were thinking: the drivers.Image of device manager with headset working on my desktop: Now in more detail:1. I downloaded... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jenna91

Jenna91

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

My Headset: Link 1

Jack Input Into Desktop PC: Link 2                   

My Desktop Computer: Link

Device Manager: Link

Issue: When I talk or make a sound I hear myself. See here: Link

What I have found out:

1. The headset works perfectly on my toshiba windows 8 with realtek sound driver.

2. The headset has the same issue described above on my dell windows 8 LAP TOP with a realtek sound driver.

3. I tried uninstalling audio drivers and this is what I am looking at in the audio properties before I download drivers from dell: Link

4. Drivers available for my computer: Link

5. The headset did not come with any drivers to install and the Blackweb brand of headset does not have a website to download drivers from.

6. This is what my the audio properties of my desktop look like after I have downloaded the audio drivers from the dell website: Link

As the picture in link #6 reads, I currently believe the issue is that I do not have the ability to MUTE the microphone playback in the control panel > sound > speaker properties > levels tab.

I am open to any suggestions you may have. Thank you.

Jenna

Edited by Jenna91, 02 January 2018 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Jenna91,

I don`t use headphones so can only treat this as an audio problem in general, have attached a couple of screenshots for you, can you take the same on your computer and upload them for us.

Jenna91

Jenna91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hello :)

image.png

Edited by Jenna91, 03 January 2018 - 03:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Jenna91,

Looking back at your screenshots, not sure if you can actually add a mute to the mic in the headphone settings to be honest, two different channels audio in being the mic and audio out the headphones, try the following steps one to four as in the attachment below to mute the mic in the speaker settings.

Jenna91

Jenna91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Thank you for your time so far PhillPower2. No, I do not have the mute to the mic setting. None of the settings in this window impact the issue:

1._No_Mic.png

For the purpose of comparison, I have 3 computers here that are all set up the same (windows 8.1):

image.jpg

The headset works perfectly on the toshiba lap top. No matter if the headset is plugged in or not, it looks like this:

image.jpg

The headset does not work properly on the black dell lap top:

A. headset not plugged in:

Dell.jpg

B. headset plugged in:

image.jpg

The headset does not work properly on the black dell desktop.

A. headset not plugged in:

image.png

B: headset plugged in:

image.png

Based on comparison, I notice the dell lap top is picking up the headset as an external mic, so I guess it is acting like it is does not have a driver for the built in microphone on it. I say the driver for the built in mic because the Toshiba that works correctly with the headset seems to run the headset off the same driver that runs the built in mic. The black lap top is not using a driver for its built in mic and is maybe using a generic desktop mic driver (like a recording mic that sits on your desk) and that is why it is playing back through my headphones (maybe?). I am not sure why this is since I installed both of two lap tops the same way. One picked up a driver it needed in windows updates and the other did not?

Now on the desktop (the one I want to work), it picks up the headset as "front microphone"(I am not sure if that is correct or not), but I notice also it is missing "high definition audio device driver" under the "sound video and game controllers" when compared to the toshiba.

In regards to our previous posts, you and I both agree I am missing the button in the control panel > sound properties to mute the playback from the mic and I am now wondering if all of this is caused by not having the the correct installed drivers on these computers.

Sorry for the lengthy post, Thank you if you still feel up to looking into this more. I know it sounds like a bunch of bullpoop, but all of my work is on my desktop and I hate having another computer on my desk just so be able to talk to people.

Edited by Jenna91, 04 January 2018 - 02:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Most odd  :headscratch:

What does it show for your Controller Information where mine shows Realtek in the #2 screenshot.

Just out of interest, have you tried the headphones in the rear ports and the mic and headphones plugged in one at a time in the front ports.

Jenna91

Jenna91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

111.png

I have tried front and rear ports and it's the same. I have a split on the headset (post 1 picture 2) so I could use the headset as just headphones or as just a desktop mic but ... (as you know) that defeats the purpose.

Edited by Jenna91, 04 January 2018 - 02:46 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I have a split on the headset (post 1 picture 2) so I could use the headset as just headphones or as just a desktop mic 

Was aware but wanting to check if the devices work in the ports independently, you know that the headset works as you have confirmed it on another computer albeit one not using a Conexant sound chip as opposed to a Realtek.

I suspect that this is a driver issue in that there are no compatible Dell/Conexant Smart HD Audio drivers available for your model of Dell computer/s, unlike the Realtek version that has the additional features included, only suggestion I can make is to run SlimDrivers while you have got the mic/headphone set connected to the computer to see if any third party driver is suggested.

Run SlimDrivers (free) from here, allow the program to scan your computer to check for any missing or out of date drivers.

Remember to always create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

Please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service that may be offered at the link and be sure to uncheck the SlimCleaner free download box.

Sorry for the lengthy post, Thank you if you still feel up to looking into this more. 

Not a problem, never been one to give up but this may be out of our hands, OEM brands like Dell and HP soon ditch support for older computers, they have had your money so why waste theirs on paying for staff to update drivers  :(

Couple of questions;

Your headphones, do they have a button on one of the ear pieces to mute the mic, if yes, with the switch in the mute position do you still get audio through the headphones.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode only, to see if Windows generic audio drivers work.

Jenna91

Jenna91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
✓  Best Answer

Okay I have success! :D  To be concise, the issue was what we both were thinking: the drivers.

Image of device manager with headset working on my desktop:

image.png

Now in more detail:

1. I downloaded slimdrivers but could not find how to update the drivers without registering. I am sure you know how to do it, but I couldn't find it.

2. I searched and found this: https://www.iobit.co...ver-booster.php

It is nice because it downloaded all of my drivers in one download and I only restarted once (it's free).

This was a really tricky issue. I think I had the correct drivers and windows was telling me that they were up to date; however, the driver booster program said my drivers were old. As soon as I let it update, the headset worked correctly.

Thank you for helping me. I always come to this forum and tell others about it too because you guys (and gals) are always so good. :wave: :D

Edited by Jenna91, 05 January 2018 - 12:07 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hi Jenna91,

Okay I have success!  :laughing: 

Then we are pleased  :yes:

Glad to hear that all is now well with the headset and mic, final nag from me, create a new restore point with your now stable settings & copy all of your drivers to a USB thumb drive for any future emergency, no thanks to Dell that you got this sorted, take care.

You are welcome btw  :)

Jenna91

Jenna91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi Jenna91,

final nag from me, create a new restore point with your now stable settings & copy all of your drivers to a USB thumb drive for any future emergency, no thanks to Dell that you got this sorted, take care.

You are welcome btw  :)

Okay, done. Thanks again.  :laughing:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:)  :thumbsup: