Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How does bluetooth for bike sharing work?

bluetooth bike sharing smart lock

• Please log in to reply

Askerin

Askerin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi everyone,

I've been searching the net for hours and have not been able to find an answer to my question, so I hope someone here might be able to help. I was not sure in which forum to place this, so please feel free to move it.

So here is my question: How exactly does the bluetooth technology work for public bike sharing? I keep reading that you are asked to download the app, register, scan the QR code on the bike and then it somehow unlocks via bluetooth. But how does this happen exactly? Does your smartphone receive a key from a server that allows it to pair with the bike? But then they say that you do not need internet for this. And is it always a different key?

And how does the lock open? Does it get an information from the smartphone "hey, I'm the one" and it springs open?

I am confused ...

Please use simple terms since I am not really familiar with this technology. :-P

Many thanks

Askerin

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Asterkin and welcome to our forums.

:welcome:

Take a look at this article:

https://blog.bluetoo...or-bike-sharing

Hopefully it answers your questions

Regards

paws

Askerin

Askerin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi paws,

thanks for the welcome and for your reply! I had already read this article but unfortunately it does not cover everything. It says "Some of the shared bikes can be unlocked by scanning a QR code by smartphone. The smartphone then sends the QR code information to the cloud for verification, and cloud notifies the bike to unlock through the cellular network because the bikes have cellular module inside them." > So this does not have anything to do with bluetooth, right?

Later "Open the app, and after scanning the QR code, the app will prompt that the user to enable Bluetooth if it isn’t already. The unlocking process is smooth and easy." > But how does this unlocking process work? What happens so that the smartphone can tell the lock to open via bluetooth?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Asterkin,

You're welcome. :D

I don't think I can explain it any better than the article I linked to...

However if you are still puzzled, then maybe the following will help

http://www.onbikesha...w-it-works.html

I sure hope so.

Regards

paws

Askerin

Askerin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks, paws! I might write the company and see if I get a response from them.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

:thumbsup: