Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dimension 4700 when sleep monitor goes off but fans still run

Windows 7 sleep mode power

Best Answer geno368 , 10 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

The s3 mode did it...Again I thank you for your help...Kudos to you...I don't know how to mark this as solved... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I updated my sister's old desktop with Windows 7 from XP sp3.  I flashed the bios and updated graphics drivers, added ram, etc.  All seems to working fine except when I go into sleep mode.  The monitor goes out and the led indicator on the front starts blinking like it should.  It will not wake up and I still hear the fans running.  I pushed the power button and it did wake up 1 time but I don't understand the fans running...not really sleep.  I have set the power options correctly in control panel and have not enabled hibernate.  What am I missing?  Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Did you install a newer chipset utility than the one on the Dell site?  Something like this one should work:

https://downloadcent...at?product=1145

Check your drivers and see if you have any yellow flags:

Right click on Computer and select Manage and then Device Manager then View, Show Hidden Drivers.  Now look in the right pane for yellow flagged devices.  Right click on one and select properties then click on the Details tab.  Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a reply.  Repeat for all yellow flagged devices.

Make sure it is not overheating.  Old XPs are often clogged with dust.

Try speedfan
http://www.filehippo...nload_speedfan/

Download, save and Install it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it.

It will tell you your temps.  If they seem hot (over 50) then clean out the dust on the heatsink, air intakes and fans.

Check your installation:
Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then click on the arrow in front of Event Viewer. Next Click on the arrow in front of Windows Logs Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application.

Reboot.

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Then type (with an Enter after each line).

sfc  /scannow

(This will check your critical system files. Does this finish without complaint?  IF it says it couldn't fix everything then:

Copy the next two lines:

findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  %UserProfile%\desktop\junk.txt
notepad %UserProfile%\desktop\junk.txt

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue.  Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. Copy and paste the text from notepad or if it is too big, just attach the file.)

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.  (Each time you run VEW it overwrites the log so copy the first one to a Reply or rename it before running it a second time.)

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Thanks for your help...

I installed your suggested chipset update.  The pc will go partially asleep with fans all running.  It does wake up fine although..

I cleaned all vents and fan housings as well as the heatsink on the processor..( not really bad very much)

I downloaded the speed fan and ran it as admin and the only result I could find was the hd temp which was about 54

I ran the sfc prog and it found no integrity violations

LOG as requested attached

BTW there are no error flags in devices.  When I select turn off, the fans start running full speed and I have to power it down with button

more coming soon

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

log #2 attached

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Could be it's too old to have the temp sensors on the CPU/MOBO.  54 is a bit warm for a hard drive - these normally run about 35 and start warning you when they hit 50.  Make sure there is nothing blocking the air flow.

Your attachment didn't work:

Attaching is a multi step process.

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.

There should be two logs.  One for System and one for Application.  VEW overwrites the log each time you run it so you need to copy and paste the text for system before running it again for application.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

thx...try #2

Attached File  VEW.txt   6.57KB   448 downloads

Attached File  VEW2.txt   18.59KB   500 downloads

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 05/01/2018 2:12:12 PM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 11 Source: Disk
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

Do a disk check on each drive you have:

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, but don't restart yet.

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then the Event Viewer. Next select Windows Logs.  Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application.

Reboot. The disk check will run and will probably take an hour or more to finish.

Run VEW for System again and post the log.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Attached File  VEW.txt   760bytes   462 downloadshere it is:

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

This error:

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 08/01/2018 8:15:02 PM
Type: Warning Category: 212
Event: 219 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_FLASH&PROD_DRIVE_SM_USB20&REV_1100#1108060201001679&0#.

is caused by a mistake by Microsoft.  When they went from Vista to Win 7 they changed the service to Manual.  This works fine as long as nothing is plugged into a USB jack but throws an error if something is plugged in.  The simple fix is to put it back to automatic:

Search for

services.msc

hit Enter

This should bring up the Services Menu.

Find:

Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework

Right click and select Properties

change Startup Type: from Manual to Automatic.  OK.

Your Application log error:

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 07/01/2018 9:51:57 PM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

is another MS mistake.  They used to have a fixit for it but they seem to have removed it.  They now make you work for it:

https://support.micr...install-service

This error is a bit more serious but not as bad as it sounds.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/01/2018 2:10:30 PM
Type: Warning Category: 7
Event: 508 Source: ESENT
Catalog Database (1168) Catalog Database: A request to write to the file "C:\Windows\system32\CatRoot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb" at offset 6959104 (0x00000000006a3000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (51144 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

Just delete the files in Catroot2 but leave the folder but you need to turn off a service first:

http://www.thewindow...r-reset-windows

These are also hidden system files so you need to tell windows to let you see them:

Control Panel, (View By:  Large Icons)  Folder Options, View.

Uncheck Hide Extensions for Known File Types
Uncheck Hide Protected System Files
Check Show Hidden Files,Folders and Drives.
OK

I looked up your PC and I remember working on these.

They have a fan on the back with a plastic shroud to concentrate the airflow over the CPU heatsink.  Some of these blow air over the heatsink and others suck air out.  Don't know which you have but make sure the mesh on the back is not clogged with dust.  The heatsink may be clean but the mesh tends to get clogged so make sure that the mesh is clean and that the fan is actually working.   If the fan is blowing out the back then the vents on the front (near the bottom) get clogged with dust.  If you open it up and then start it up the fan will normally start fast then slow down.  Are you sure the fan is a genuine Dell?  Dell used an odd fan and a generic replacement doesn't give the proper feedback to the motherboard so generic replacements tend to run at full speed all of the time.  It should be plugged into the motherboard.  Sometimes a replacement will be plugged into a spare power plug.  There is an option in the BIOS to turn off the fan warning.  If this has been turned off then the fan is probably not the original.

Get Process Explorer

http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe
Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7+ - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Note the file name.   Open the file  on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

Copy the next 2 lines:

TASKLIST /SVC  > \junk.txt
notepad \junk.txt

Open an Elevated Command Prompt:
Win 7: Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator
Win 8: http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html
win 10: http://www.howtogeek...-in-windows-10/

Right click and Paste (or Edit then Paste) and the copied lines should appear.
Hit Enter if notepad does not open.  Copy and paste the text from notepad into a reply.

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy/ (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Tell it you do not need CCLEANER.    Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving),
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top,  10-20  lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  Attaching the log is the best option as it is too big for the forum.  Attaching is a multi step process.

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I really appreciate this help but I am a little confused with the script.  I copied the batch to a notepad and saved it to my desktop as "workaround.vbs" as instructed.  When  I open command prompt, what is the syntax to copy the script in? 

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Depends on where you save the script.  The easy way to do is to save or copy the vbs file to C:\Windows\System32.  Then when you open an elevated command prompt it will open in C:\Windows\System32

and you just type:

cscript  workaround.vbs

and hit Enter.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I am back to it...sorry

Attached Files

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

other file

Attached Files

• Attached File  junk.txt   4.83KB   450 downloads

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

speccy

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Delays are no problem.  I'm not on-line all of the time and I don't keep track anyway.

You can uninstall Speccy now.  We won't need it again.

Your hard drive is ancient but appears to be healthy which is amazing.  It is running hot but perhaps that's because it's so old (if you are sure the air vents are not blocked).  It also may be a bit slow starting up.

I would consider cloning it and replacing it with a new one if you want to increase PC response or are worried about losing data.

(Stay way from Seagate drives.  They don't hold up.  Western Digital blacks seem to be the best.

Apparently there are no sensors for the CPU/Mobo temps.

Process Explorer shows no problems with the processes.  Nothing that shouldn't be there.

Did you look to see if the fan is a genuine Dell?  Is it plugged into the motherboard or into a power plug?