Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC comes up with BSOD when booting windows 10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

DonivanMullens

DonivanMullens

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello, my PC just started this problem this morning and I have tried many things to fix it, before all this happened I was watching netflix last night and left it on and went to bed. It will come up with a BSOD with the NTFS File Sysytem at the bottom and when I reboot it to make windows go into Preparing Automatic Repair it goes to "Choose keyboard layout" screen where I cant use my keyboard or mouse, both of which work perfectly fine on other devices. I have a laptop in which I am using to make this post, but it doesn't have enough space to download the boot onto a usb and the download software wont let me download directly to the usb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   DonivanMullens,

It will come up with a BSOD with the NTFS File Sysytem 

Common signs of a failed HDD/SSD or Windows being corrupt.

How much free storage space was/is available on the drive.

Has the HDD been slow to access the data on or making any odd noises previous to this happening.

DonivanMullens

DonivanMullens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The Usb drive I have is 8gb and the HDD is 1T with over half storage available and has been slow before this, my pc was running near/at 100% disk usage, and no new noises from my pc other that the usual fans.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

The reason why I asked about the free storage space was because of the following in your OP;

I have a laptop in which I am using to make this post, but it doesn't have enough space to download the boot onto a usb 

If you do not have enough free storage space on the notebook to download an ISO it is only a matter of time before Windows on that becomes corrupt and/or the HDD fails.

the HDD is 1T with over half storage available 

Is the free space available on the C: partition where Windows is.

For you to try, use the power on button to start and shut down the computer a few times, hopefully after a couple of attempts the Windows Recovery Environment will come up where the troubleshooting options are, Safe Mode, System Restore etc

DonivanMullens

DonivanMullens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yes windows is on the 1T HDD and I have it come up with Windows starting its auto repair but it wont go further that the choose your keyboard layout, where I cant choose anything because my keyboard and mouse arent usable. The laptop only has 2g of free space.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
The laptop only has 2g of free space.

Separate issue but you should free up as much space as you can asap or as advised Windows will corrupt and/or the HDD fail leaving you with two broken computers.

I have it come up with Windows starting its auto repair 

You mentioned this in your OP but is the computer doing the same when using the power on button to start and shut down the computer a few times.

Would recommend that you leave the desktop for now, free up the space on the notebooks HDD then download the Windows 10 ISO, from what you are telling us it looks like you may need the ISO sooner rather than later.