Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Manually Download Windows Updates (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 13 January 2018 - 03:45 AM

Apologies for the delay getting back to you   Certain info from your Speccy report suggests two possible reasons for not being able to install updates, the first is because Windows is so... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

smittyd

smittyd

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Hello!  I manually download the Windows Updates I want.  But, when I select the ones I want the bar keeps scrolling and never downloads anything.  I have Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1.  Any thoughts?  Thanks...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello smittyd,

Have you tried the Windows 7 Update troubleshooting tool, if not, you can download it from here alternatively see info below;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Hello smittyd,

Have you tried the Windows 7 Update troubleshooting tool, if not, you can download it from here alternatively see info below;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Here ya go!

http://speccy.pirifo...mi4neHmPbd4Ndvc

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
✓  Best Answer

Apologies for the delay getting back to you  :(

Certain info from your Speccy report suggests two possible reasons for not being able to install updates, the first is because Windows is so far out of date that any newer updates cannot be installed, if you look at the info at some updates they have what are called "prerequisites" what this means is that the update/s must apply to your OS and that the update/s will only install if Windows is fully up to date, there are no updates shown to have been installed since Windows was installed on 12/30/2013, second reason is that you are low on free storage space on the HDD, see my canned info for this below.

To do, free up as much storage space on the HDD a you can, delete any old programs or games, back up music, pics and videos etc to another storage device or burn them to disk, it`s a big ask but ideally you should look to have between 400 and 500GB of free storage space on a 2TB HDD, this is one reason why I never put Windows on a storage device where other data will also be stored, if Windows had been installed on a separate 250GB partition on your 2TB HDD you would not be having this issue.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 12/30/2013 8:16:24 PM
Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC): Enabled
Notify level: 2 - Default
Firewall: Enabled
Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Notify prior to download

Partition 1

Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #1
Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: D2ACF61A
Size: 1862 GB
Used Space: 1663 GB (89%)

Free Space: 199 GB (11%

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure you must always have a minimum of 20 to 25% of the HDDs or partitions overall storage capacity available as free space where Windows is installed and between 10 and 15% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if there is data only on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently particularly important for Windows file swapping and the installation of OS and AV updates.

Not having the above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information here and here

For info on SSD devices and free storage space see Seagate article on Over – Provisioning here

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Phill,

The following steps works will fix this issue many times.

Click on Start menu
Type in cmd
Right click on cmd in list and select run as administrator

1. Sc Stop wuauserv - hit enter

2. Rd /s /q %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution - hit enter

3. Restart computer and try updates again

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you  :(

Certain info from your Speccy report suggests two possible reasons for not being able to install updates, the first is because Windows is so far out of date that any newer updates cannot be installed, if you look at the info at some updates they have what are called "prerequisites" what this means is that the update/s must apply to your OS and that the update/s will only install if Windows is fully up to date, there are no updates shown to have been installed since Windows was installed on 12/30/2013, second reason is that you are low on free storage space on the HDD, see my canned info for this below.

To do, free up as much storage space on the HDD a you can, delete any old programs or games, back up music, pics and videos etc to another storage device or burn them to disk, it`s a big ask but ideally you should look to have between 400 and 500GB of free storage space on a 2TB HDD, this is one reason why I never put Windows on a storage device where other data will also be stored, if Windows had been installed on a separate 250GB partition on your 2TB HDD you would not be having this issue.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 12/30/2013 8:16:24 PM
Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC): Enabled
Notify level: 2 - Default
Firewall: Enabled
Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Notify prior to download

Partition 1

Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #1
Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: D2ACF61A
Size: 1862 GB
Used Space: 1663 GB (89%)

Free Space: 199 GB (11%

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure you must always have a minimum of 20 to 25% of the HDDs or partitions overall storage capacity available as free space where Windows is installed and between 10 and 15% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if there is data only on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently particularly important for Windows file swapping and the installation of OS and AV updates.

Not having the above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information here and here

For info on SSD devices and free storage space see Seagate article on Over – Provisioning here

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't think about the capacity limitations.  I'll see what I can do and let you know if that works.  Again, thanks...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

You are welcome smittyd and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

No need to quote every reply btw, just makes for unnecessary reading and doesn't actually help any  :no:

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Gotcha!  Thanks...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:thumbsup:

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Hello!  I freed up 30% of my hard drive.  I tried manually downloading a few updates and it worked.  So, capacity appears to have been the issue.  Thanks for your help!  I appreciate it!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Glad we could help and thanks for the follow up  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)