Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Icon background

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
do you know where I can find this Transparent program? www.Transparent.com is a translation and language learning software company... doesn't seem like their cup of tea to deal with this...

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
what happens if you log on as another user like admin

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I actually thought about that while reading that other topic...

I activated the guest account and log on with it... and voila, Guest account has no problem with text transparency....

Do I need to find some registry key differences between the desktop on these two accounts to find the problem?

Let me know if you guys have come up with any other ideas here... this new development is rather puzzling to me.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
In the user account with the problem check this key in regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
ActiveDesktop

Under REG_DWORD (DWORD Value) is the value data number 0 or 1?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I'm already searching the registry
themes are under
Hkey_current_user_\software\microsoft\windows\currentVersion\themes\lasttheme.
Check this does it say display name of modified XP modified

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
The one that will change your desktop is
hkey_current_user_controlpanel\desktop
user preference mask what do you have as the number
should be something like 9e3e0580 but not exact as I run under classic modified. What number do you have?

Edited by peterm, 23 June 2005 - 02:46 AM.

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Alright.... So I don't think I'm looking in the wrong places here... I follow the folders and click on the last one to open it... and well, there's neither of those Registry keys....

wait... I found UserPreferenceMask 9e 3e 07 80

but as far as the Active Desktop folder, that one's totally empty. And actually the Active Desktop folder doesn't exist on the guest account. Which I think makes sense... though, I'm slightly disturbed that you can actually use regedit in the guest account.... seems like something they shouldn't let you play with....

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
clarification:

I am looking at the registry for the current account with the messed up desktop.

I merely checked the other account as well.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
9e 3e 07 80 is xp however if you look under last theme (previous post for hkey) It will most likely say xp modified.
If you like change to 9e 3e 05 80 this should give you classic desktop
go to the desk top and check. then go back to the registry hit f5 to refresh
then change back to 9e 3e 07 80
Has this fixed the problem?
And remember my 2 rules

Edited by peterm, 23 June 2005 - 04:13 AM.

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
editing the registry number back to classic appears to do nothing. I think this is because when I change the settings through the display properties, it does not actually switch the theme until it has brought up the "please wait" screen and grayed out everything else. A few seconds later, the theme changes. Without calling up that screen, it would seem that it's not causing any changes. A re-start may now boot with the new changes, so I'm going to try it that way. I'll let you know what happens.

Advertisements

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I can edit the registry without changing the desktop at all, but changing theme to anything other than Windows XP results in a 9e3e0580 while XP results in 9e3e0780. And regaurdless, the desktop still has the little color on the back of the icons. Switching to classic merely makes it LOOK like it's not there, because the background color without an image is the same as the color on the icons.

Also I was wondering, Usetobe, if I should be concerned that I have no values under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies other than the (Default) REG_SZ with no value set... I assume that's merely a place holder, and really means nothing.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
thats ok, if you had a value i was going to tell you to set it to 0.

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well, since I'm really not going to go to the bother of setting up a new account , or installing windows again or anything... I guess I'm going to learn to live with it...

Thank you both for all your help. At least we tried.

Edited by dvm5, 23 June 2005 - 07:09 AM.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Do you have Adaware?

If not download, update it and Scan -Fix all- Reboot

Adaware

then

Download SSFix.exe from http://www.atribune....loads/SSFix.exe]Here[/URL]

Run it to extract the SSFix folder to your desktop.

Close all windows then open the SSFix folder on your desktop.

Double click on ss.bat (the program with the gear icon)

Allow it to run. When it is finished it will reboot your computer.

See if that makes a difference

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
no change. Once again, it made my desktop look alright at first, by setting it to no background, but achieves no permanent solution. The program didn't find any of the files it was looking for though... which is good, means you've done your job with my computer :tazz: