Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Icon background

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Is the problem account an administrator account?

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Thanks for coming onboard this one gerry, it's driving us nuts

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hope I don't cover ground that has already been covered....trying to back track, but don't have a lot of time at the moment

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
yeah it's the only account, in fact. Only other one I've been looking at for reference is activating the Guest account.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Dude, no matter how hard I try, I can't get my machine to do this. I can't recreate your problem. I don't know what you did, but you must have done it just right.

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
1nfection, you tried putting SpySheriff onto your computer and removing it? I think that program he had me download earlier.. the SSfix.exe .... pretty much does what I did to get it off. If that doesn't do it... I can probably walk you through what I tried.... I think I've saved most of the stuff I used....

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Yeah, but I'm at work now. I'm having wifi problems of my own. I had a thread about it, but no one answered really. But yeah, I tried. When I get some time I'm going to try again. All I could do, still was easily fixed through what we've gone through already. I created the problem, but I couldn't make it permanent like you did. Kudos man, kudos :tazz:

screwy_looie

screwy_looie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
infection how do u get that writing at the bottom under the dashed line

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I believe that's just his signature...

Click My Controls up top on the right... then under Personal Profile on the left there is a Edit Signature link.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dvm, try this...it's an odd solution but on rare occasions I've had success with it.

Create a new administrator user account (temporarily)

Start regedit

Right click HKEY_Current_User, and choose EXPORT, name it HKCU.reg and save it to C:\ (the root)

This will be a large file --12mb or so.

Log out, log back into problem account

find hkcu.reg, double click. Windows will complain that it cannot import all settings, this is ok and to be expected--it may also say not all settings can be immediately applied. It will take a couple seconds to import.

That's ok too

Log out and log back into the bad account.

Fixed?

What this does: if what is causing the problem is a MISSING registry setting, importing the REG file will add that setting. If the problem is an incorrect setting, this may not fix the problem, but at least we will know if we're looking for a good setting or bad setting.

Advertisements

screwy_looie

screwy_looie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
kk

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
And now I just added one :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just added one what?

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
signature... was responding to the other guy, heh.

I've exported the file and now going to go integrate it with my registry.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
If that works its great. But, what happened? Thats what I can't get over. How did it happen? Just a fluke?