Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Icon background

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
can't believe it took us 6 pages to fix something that seemed like a really minor deal.

Advertisements

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
LOL, yeah. Things get on your nerves and you just HAVE to figure them out. At least, thats the way that I am. Glad it got fixed anyway.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Gerry - The smitfraud reg that he ran a couple of times does delete the "ForceActiveDesktopOn" entry. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
That is what I thought, too, as I saw he used it but nothing else made sense, so I thought I would take a look at the registry key

Perhaps in the huhbub, the did a system restore that was not reported and it reinserted it.

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
1nfection: yeah seriously. It wasn't just the fact that the little rectangles were there... but that I couldn't get rid of them that really borhered me the most.

Gerry - The smitfraud reg that he ran a couple of times does delete the "ForceActiveDesktopOn" entry.  :tazz:

View Post

it's a good theory, but there must have been something wrong with it before... because I had problems with it BEFORE I ever ran that... It came in with SpySheriff....

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I'm well aware that it came in with SpySheriff :tazz:

It's not a theory, the smitfraud reg does, in fact, delete that "ForceActiveDesktopOn" entry so I have no clue why it didn't go away...

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
It's the little things that get on my nerves. Like having family that see no problem with moving you desktop icons around and installing random software! Though I broke them of the latter...

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

That is what I thought, too, as I saw he used it but nothing else made sense, so I thought I would take a look at the registry key

Perhaps in the huhbub, the did a system restore that was not reported and it reinserted it.

View Post

I did do a system restore... I mentioned it in this topic somewhere I think... it was one of the first suggestions I was given. And so I had done one long ago, but I believe I used smitfraud again after to get rid of the lock on the desktop which also restored.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, I noted that....that's why it took so long for me to ask.....we'll just consider ourselves fortunate it's better :tazz:

screwy_looie

screwy_looie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
this thread cud go on for a while
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................lets order pizza

Advertisements

screwy_looie

screwy_looie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
that ss u took of ur desktop...kazza gives u spware and stuff get LIMEWIRE

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
i had him run smitfraud fix and Atri's SSfix and thought it strange that it wasn't fixed.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ah System Restore, I see :tazz:

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

yes, I noted that....that's why it took so long for me to ask.....we'll just consider ourselves fortunate it's better :tazz:

View Post

Yeah. in the end, I'm really glad that I decided not to just deal with what happened.

and as far as pizza goes, I think that's what I'm geting for dinner....

And Kazaa, yeah, I know, it's been... well I guess castrated for lack of a better word.

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

i had him run smitfraud fix and Atri's SSfix and thought it strange that it wasn't fixed.

View Post

it's really no wonder I had you stumped :tazz:

glad we called in reinforcements in the end ;)