Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Icon background

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Just as a further point, please clear your system restore points.

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Select "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives"

Then click apply.

Then untick the "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" box and click apply OK

Advertisements

syncro79

syncro79

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi everybody,

dvm5, I'm glad the registry modification worked for you but in my case, I still have backgrounds on my icons. I am pretty sure I followed every suggestion mentioned in the 8 pages so can anyone offer any suggestions for me? This also happened after spy s :tazz: heriff showed up on my computer. Any help would be much appreciated!!

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
If I were you I'd first try using http://www.atribune....loads/SSFix.exe

to rid yourself of Spy Sheriff... then going for the last two registry fixes that worked for me.

And if there's any other piece of advice, it's that there is no such thing as too much restarting when you're trying to rid yourself of this spyware... that's the only way you know it's really gone... and the only time I knew the stuff had worked.

SS just kind of stows away biding its time....

I wonder where it came from to begin with...
It appeared when I'd left my computer on while I went out for dinner... so not like I was doing much durning that time, so I think it stowed away at some point and came back when it saw the chance... nasty bugger.

syncro79

syncro79

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
yup, tried them both with no success. :tazz:

dvm5

dvm5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I'm pretty sure when an issue is resolved they ignore the topic, so you might want to post a new one of your own, and hope that they've got some ideas on how to fix yours :tazz:

syncro79

syncro79

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah, I know. i though that perhaps since it has been so active there was a chance it would catch someone's eye but I guess not.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please start a new post, just to help us keep track

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
once again well done Gerry

Garth47

Garth47

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I picked up the same problem 3 days back, and found that none of what has been posted before helped with my particular circumstance, so here's how I sorted mine out:

Control panel / Display / desktop / Customize desktop / Web

There was a ticked entry under Web pages file:///c:/documents and settings etc. Removing the tick made the icon text background transparent again. I picked this up when the html receipt for an on-line purchase was saved to the desktop. Deleting the item itself from the desktop did not solve the problem.

Hope this helps!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that was actually addressed somewhere in this thread.....I think even twice :tazz:

I'm going to close this thread off now....it's like those zombies from dawn of the dead,,,it just keeps coming back

Advertisements