Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP slow after new hard drive install

• Please log in to reply

lukeskyslacker

lukeskyslacker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I replaced my 40Gb slave drive with an 80gb. Both Maxtors. I used their utility to copy the old partition to the new.

Now XP takes a long time to load, and everything is slow and choppy. Both are using UDMA mode 6.

Other than the new hard drive nothing changed. The drive with XP on it was unchanged.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Blufar

Blufar

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Have you defragmented the hard drive? Are you running two hard drives on one IDE port?

lukeskyslacker

lukeskyslacker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Have you defragmented the hard drive? Are you running two hard drives on one IDE port?

View Post

No I didn't defragment, but it didn't need it. Yes, it's the slave on the first IDE port. I replaced the old hard drive and everything is back to normal.

Blufar

Blufar

• Pip
  • 9 posts
How come you have it as slave? And also, did you change any other hardware configuration?

lukeskyslacker

lukeskyslacker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have two dvd drives on the other cable.

No other hardware changes.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
enter

were there any BAD BLOCK errors on the new drive when it was listed. It souns for all the world like a defective drive or bad format/imaging.

Incidentally, ideally, you want your two harddrives on different IDE channels and two cd-rom drives on different ide channels, which makes drive to drive copies more smooth.

This is not always possible, but it is desirable