Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 10 very slow to boot, no audio

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

pnoyes

pnoyes

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi, I'm new to GeekstoGo blog, with a problem I'm sure you've heard.  Win 10 slow to boot, plus numerous other problems; like no audio on a new computer.  

When I say slow to boot i'm talking about 5 minutes, and some fooling around after my desktop is full and apparently ready to go.  I got the Farbar recovery scan tool, anyone who can read it?  One thing I do notice during the wait for the booting.  It says "waiting for cache" and that stays for quite a while.  Also, it blocks access to my Device Manager, and then it's impossible to get administrator privileges.  Have tried everything.

Appreciate any help or advice from anyone who has "been there, done that".

Advertisements

joaneee

joaneee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello, 

I've had a similar problem on Windows 7 before I upgraded to Windows 10. For me the issue was that the HDD was already failing (it was a couple of years old at the time). Have you tried checking your disk's health? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   pnoyes,

Win 10 slow to boot, plus numerous other problems; like no audio on a new computer.  

Being a new computer depending on the problem you may need to get this sorted under warranty, we can help if it is software related but if it looks like faulty hardware we best not in case it voids your warranty.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

pnoyes

pnoyes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

:welcome:   pnoyes,

Win 10 slow to boot, plus numerous other problems; like no audio on a new computer.  

Being a new computer depending on the problem you may need to get this sorted under warranty, we can help if it is software related but if it looks like faulty hardware we best not in case it voids your warranty.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Here is the Speccy report.  I should mention I was talking about 2 computers; the new one is my wife's.  Not exactly "new".  I bought it over a year ago as I thought hers was going out.  It lasted until about a month ago.  In the meantime we moved to out of the US so I can't take it back.  

My computer is the one with all sorts of Win10 issues, and the Speccy report is below.  Thank you for your help. 

http://speccy.pirifo...mcnt4FlmKuD4SrO

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
My computer is the one with all sorts of Win10 issues, 

Couple of questions if I may;

Can you tell us what particular issues you are having.

What is the brand and model name or number of your PSU (power supply unit)

Windows was shown to have been installed on 12/12/2017 after the install were the drivers for the motherboard reinstalled and starting with the chipset drivers first.

Has any attempt at overclocking the system been made or any changes made in the BIOS for any other reason/s.

Things of note in Speccy.

Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Not configured Windows is out of date with the last update having been installed on 1/9/2018, keeping Windows updated helps to make sure that it being out of date does not cause issues, it also helps protect you from malware attack.

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots: 4
Used memory slots: 4
Free memory slots: 0
Memory
Type: DDR3
Size: 12288 MBytes
Channels #: Dual
DRAM Frequency: 669.6 MHz You have two different speeds of RAM neither of which are the 1866MHz that you should be using with a FX-6300 CPU, see info here & here
CAS# Latency (CL): 9 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 9 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 9 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 24 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 33 clocks
Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 38 % High Memory usage for a computer not under any load, could be a compatibility issue or something running in the background hogging resources
Total Physical: 12 GB
Available Physical: 7.35 GB
Total Virtual: 24 GB
Available Virtual: 19 GB
SPD

Voltage

CPU CORE: 1.404 V The maximum voltage when under a full load is 1.425V and yours is getting 1.404V when doing very little, this voltage will increase when gaming or watching videos etc and the increase will cause overheating and instability such as freezing and possible hard shut downs. 

pnoyes

pnoyes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The power supply is an EVGA 500W1.  When you say Windows was installed Dec. 12, 2012 do you mean updated?  Win 10 was installed on this computer in 2015.  No overclocking or changes to the BIOS.

I did a system recovery back to 1-09-18 just last Friday.  Helped a little.  I will go into Updates and get back the ones that have been left out.

What can I do about the RAM speed?

I may have been downloading a movie when that test was run.  I am looking at Speccy right now (no downloading going on) and the RAM is using 25%.

Recently the CPU fan has been making noise and increasing speed up and down, Temp got up to 60c.  Right now it's 45c.  I have ordered a new CPU fan from Amazon.

The problems with my wife's computer are Win 10 related.  No sound from the speakers(worked fine a week ago with either the monitor speakers or the externals) and unable to get Admin privileges.  It stops me from going into the device manager and checking the drivers.  Seriously thinking about doing a system refresh.  

Thank you so much for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Can you tell us what particular issues you are having.

Can you also answer the above for us.

The EVGA is only entry level and wouldn't be good enough for a gaming rig but it is adequate for your hardware.

The major update on 12/12/2017 was effectively a clean install of Windows but without removing your personal files and settings, some apps and drivers may need to be reinstalled though.

No OCing or BIOS changes having been made info acknowledged, what I would do though is restore the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS, just in case there is a bad setting, this is a standard step and one of the first that should be done when troubleshooting hardware, restart the computer while tapping the Del key to get you into the BIOS, navigate the BIOS until you find the Load Setup Defaults option, select it then save and exit by pressing the F10 key.

There is nothing that you can do about the RAM speed as neither speeds that you have are capable of running at 1866MHz, go back to Speccy and you will be able to see for yourself that your 1600MHz Crucial RAM is only running at 669MHz, this is because any RAM in a motherboard can and will only run at the speed of the slowest RAM, in this instance your 1333MHz Samsung RAM.

25% RAM usage is still high when you have 12GB of RAM onboard.

What sort of noise was the CPU fan making, if rumbling etc it suggests a problem but if only running at high speed something is causing it to do this and the CPU fan is doing it`s job.

The problems with my wife's computer are Win 10 related.  No sound from the speakers(worked fine a week ago with either the monitor speakers or the externals) and unable to get Admin privileges.  It stops me from going into the device manager and checking the drivers.  Seriously thinking about doing a system refresh.  

To avoid confusion and any possible mishaps only one computer and problem per thread, the same rules apply on all reputable forums and you will need to start a second thread for the other computer as and when it is appropriate.

pnoyes

pnoyes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Gotta admit the 2 Samsung RAM came from my old computer and I just used them when I put this new motherboard in this HP tower.  So even if I dump the Samsung and add 2 new RAM the highest I could go is 800MHz, the speed of the Crucial?  Or is the motherboard the limiting factor?

I just bought 2 new Samsung 4GB PC-3 1600MHz for my laptop.  

The CPU fan makes a loud "shriek" when I download, and stays there even after stop the download.  The temp goes from 45c to 55c, and spiked at 60c once.  I can reach in there and touch the fins and they just feel warm.

From what I've been reading I'm lucky if I didn't get that "major" Dec. 12 update from Microsoft.

I'll do the MB reset when I reboot.  

Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello pnoyes,

Apologies for the delay, having my own computer problems atm and unfortunately it may need to be a new purchase as a Windows 10 update has left me with a boot loop and no USB ports and DVD drive working, will get back to you asap.

If you were to purchase new 1866MHz RAM and use it along side your 1600MHz RAM the 1866MHz RAM would only run at 1600MHz, it is a combination of the slower speed of the 1600MHz RAM and how motherboards work.

Sounds like the bearing s on the CPU cooling fan may be failing

katyn

katyn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I actually meant to replace all the RAM (at 1866MHz)to get things even.  12GB of RAM seems to be enough for me, but maybe 16GB would be better so I have the same thing in all the slots.

Yes, I'm pretty certain the bearings in the CPU fan are going out.  As the load increases the "shriek" does too.  I ordered a new fan from Amazon and it should be here next week (I'm living in Panama).  In the meantime I keep Speccy open and if the temp gets over 60c I throttle back.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Can I ask why you have created a new account.

As per the GTG Terms of Use Each forum member may have only one account, please contact a Mod or Admin and ask that one of them be cancelled.

Unless you use the computer for rendering videos, CAD, games programming or running flight sims etc 8GB of RAM is adequate, for now I would suggest replacing the CPU cooling fan and removing the 1333MHz RAM to see if things are any better running cooler and the RAM at 1600MHz as opposed to 1333MHz.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you pnoyes, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.