Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 USB has "RED X" / DVD, SATA USB also not working

- - - - -

Best Answer penelopepony , 12 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

I guess I can't get filehippo, etc...  Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

penelopepony

penelopepony

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

TOSHIBA C55-A, upgraded to win 10 about 2 yrs ago.

No longer have the EPSON PRINTER

I have one usb that has a RED X, Attempted to remove it, turned pc off, & back on, but now it just claims a new problem. **PIC ATTACHED**

My SATA/USB & DVD also doesn't work, not sure what went wrong.  It's been like this a couple of months, but haven't had time to deal with it.

I'm sure there's one or two other issues hidden as well.  Any help would be appreciated. 

TY

Attached Thumbnails

• red2JPG.JPG
  • red.JPG

Edited by penelopepony, 23 January 2018 - 05:24 PM.

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Looking at your picture of the USB storage it is pointing to a mapped drive. To remove follow the steps below. I need to learn more about your other issues, but this is the easy one. 

Open File Explorer

Click on this PC in the list

Click on mapped network drive icon on top menu

Select Disconnect Network drive

Select the USB drive shown under Z: and click OK.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

My SATA/USB & DVD also doesn't work, not sure what went wrong.  It's been like this a couple of months, but haven't had time to deal with it.

Please be more specific about this issue. It looks like your DVD drive is showing under File Explorer. Does it just not work? What are the other drives you mentioned and the issues?

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

YES that fixed the RED X problem, but that same left side USB still doesn't recognize anything.  I tried attaching my dongle for my mouse & it did not work.  I also attached a 4 Slot usb EXTERNAL device, & it did not work, but the green light lit.

My usb on the right side works, but given I'm right handed, it's kind of a pain.

The SATA /USB won't even lite up the extended 4 USB thing.

The CD / DVD opens, closes, I went into the area to let me know anything before it does anything, but while I can hear it spinning, & see the green light, NO LUCK.

I have/had an external DVD, & stuff, but after moving from where I had lived, found that a bunch of my pc related software & devices such as have been tanke, so my laptop is it...

I went to microsoft online, checked stuff out, also Toshiba, etc...  BUT I'm STOMPED!!!

&, In addition to the above, due to the problem of problem of my laptop not wanting to just simply start upon pushing the power button, I changed out my CMOS battery inside the laptop.  Seemed to work, BUT I'm back to having to take the main battery out, plug in the outlet, turn it on, then I can add the reg. battery.  :D ).

TY

Edited by penelopepony, 24 January 2018 - 06:33 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Okay, can you go into device manager and check to see if you have any Red X's on any of your devices. If so, please upload a picture. Will you laptop run on battery at all? Does the battery show good?

Also perform the following:

http://filehippo.com/download_speccy

1. File > Save Snapshot. This will create a file called [hostname].speccy

2. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers

3 Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Download MiniToolBox by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Run as Administrator to start the tool.

1. Select to Run All options
  2. Click Go and wait patiently
  3. Upon completion (a reboot may be needed) a file called Result.txt will be saved on your desktop
  4. Upload or Paste the Results.txt to your next reply

Edited by dmccoy, 24 January 2018 - 06:46 PM.

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Sorry about my slowness, my laptop lcd got broke, & I have to hook it up to my tv by way of svg.  & in short, as to how it happened, not happy about.

Working on items above.

I'm sorry, but "APP" thing keeps blocking me from doing anything, & I have to get some CTE research done tonight.

Edited by penelopepony, 12 February 2018 - 07:59 PM.

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
✓  Best Answer

I guess I can't get filehippo, etc...

Attached Thumbnails

• appJPG.JPG

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Is this a work or school computer with restrictions?