Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New update appears to have killed my HTC10

URGENT please!

Best Answer Wrinkly Pete , 24 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can assist me.  Urgently. This evening I downloaded, and attempted to install, the latest Android Oreo update 3.16.401.2 for my HTC10 smartphone. Everythi... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can assist me.  Urgently.

This evening I downloaded, and attempted to install, the latest Android Oreo update 3.16.401.2 for my HTC10 smartphone.

Everything went smoothly / normally with the download, and with the "Verifying update package",  and I got to the "Processing" and finally the "Installing" stage (A black screen with downward arrow above a phone type symbol).

Everything was still going fine and then... at 90% installed - the screen went totally black.

I waited a few minutes, expecting the phone to buzz and restart and then to request my pin number or fingerprint... BUT nothing happened. After a long wait it became apparent it had switched the phone off. I tried the on/off switch - nothing.

[The phone was fully charged prior to the update, which was done via my Wi-Fi. It was still well charged before I lost the battery usage info.]

I now appear to possess an expensive brick! I cannot turn the phone on, and apart from removing the sim card or micro SD card I have no other options.

Any ideas what I can do PLEASE?

I cannot contact HTC (I bought the phone from HTC) and my sim only contract is with Tesco mobile. I couldn't get much sense out of them.

Advertisements

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can assist me.  Urgently.

This evening I downloaded, and attempted to install, the latest Android Oreo update 3.16.401.2 for my HTC10 smartphone.

Everything went smoothly / normally with the download, and with the "Verifying update package",  and I got to the "Processing" and finally the "Installing" stage (A black screen with downward arrow above a phone type symbol).

Everything was still going fine and then... at 90% installed - the screen went totally black.

I waited a few minutes, expecting the phone to buzz and restart and then to request my pin number or fingerprint... BUT nothing happened. After a long wait it became apparent it had switched the phone off. I tried the on/off switch - nothing.

[The phone was fully charged prior to the update, which was done via my Wi-Fi. It was still well charged before I lost the battery usage info.]

I now appear to possess an expensive brick! I cannot turn the phone on, and apart from removing the sim card or micro SD card I have no other options.

Any ideas what I can do PLEASE?

I cannot contact HTC (I bought the phone from HTC) and my sim only contract is with Tesco mobile. I couldn't get much sense out of them.

I have been able to solve this issue since posting my problem. Please consider this matter CLOSED. [I cannot see how to delete it.]

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 24 January 2018 - 02:22 PM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Wrinkly Pete,
well done!, That's very good to hear. :yes: 

Please tell us how you fixed it...all the steps... the search engines will index it and anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation will be able to benefit by your experience.

Regards

paws

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi Wrinkly Pete,
well done!, That's very good to hear. :yes: 

Please tell us how you fixed it...all the steps... the search engines will index it and anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation will be able to benefit by your experience.

Regards

paws

Hi paws,

Certainly, I used Google... and one of the suggested hits led me to:  https://thedroidguy....g-guide-1061281

As the on/off button did not respond to anything I felt doomed. There's not much else you CAN do with a smartphone... or SO I THOUGHT! I was wrong.

Anyway, the aforementioned web page taught me that it was still possible to recover from what I thought was a bricked phone.

The article gives better details than I could here, but basically it involved pressing the on/off button AND sound up or sound down buttons, and holding both for 10 seconds - or combinations thereof (depending on the cause of the dead phone).

So all is NOT lost after all. I went from suicidal to elated within a few minutes! It's bad enough having phones with built-in batteries; when SO MUCH of our daily lives now requires the use of a WORKING smartphone, it's not until something like this happens to make you realise how awkward life can be WITHOUT one.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Many thanks Wrinkley Pete for your fix.

Anyone who faces a similar situation in the future, will find your reply invaluable.

Kudos to you for responding.
Regards
paws