Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Image unable to retrieve

Best Answer Faina , 04 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Dear Sleepydude, I've had finally the time to speak with our IT and uninstall the Dell Encryption is not possible. The good news is that in Win 10 we use Bitlocker so maybe I can be successful... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Faina

Faina

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Dear experts,

after ~1000 different options tested, I need your help for install an image created with my PC. It uses to works in a very simple way, but now I can't simply write it again

I can't use any tools (Work PC) and I need a quick and reliable way to get my PC image, that in case of HDD failure I can restore in short time

PC: Dell Latitude 7470

Win 7 64 bit Enterprise

what I did

- create a system image with the backup tool on an external HDD and the system repair disk on a DVD

what happens when I try to reinstall the image

- the external HDD is not seen by the System recovery during the start up

- I've moved the image to a NAS, but the NIC driver is not loaded by the recovery tool, so

- I've edited the boot.wmi file adding the drivers, and it seems work, but

- I don't know how to create a bootable DVD with the new boot file (tried 3 times failing)

- I was able to do a bootable USB and I can see my drivers, and they can be installed, but I get "file not found" error when I click next so again no access to the NAS

Sorry for the messy description, but I've tried everything in my knowledge and I really need to find a solution: if I could read the image from the external HDD no issue then, but I can't and I run out of creativity...

Do you know what's the secret formula to get the image back?

thanks in advance for the help!!!

cheers

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

I think the easy solution for you is to create a bootable flash drive on a Windows 7 machine containing the System Repair Disk and then replace the boot.wim file inside the sources folder, this way if the WIM file isn't corrupted it should boot.

Because Windows 7 only creates the System Repair Disk on a DVD you need to convert tthe DVD to an ISO file https://www.lifewire...d-or-cd-2625180

With the ISO file you can use Rufus to create the bootable flash drive.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Dear Sleepydude,

I've followed your instruction and the outcome is the same: I can pass the initial boot with the USB but after selecting the keyboard I got "System cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)

do you know why?

of course with the DVD created from windows it works...

thanks

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

How did you integrate the network drivers? did you follow some guide? can you post the link to it?

Can you post the Dell Service Tag please it will allow us to know more details about the machine if no hardware changes occurred.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Dear Sleepydude,

I've used this instructions

https://www.lewan.co...indows-10-image

I don't think the problem is there because I've the same error even if I use the original iso from the DVD: it starts, select the keyboard, and then get the same error

Compare to the DVD, when I start I don't see the system that I want to restore: looks like there is some "path" missing or something like that

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Just to clarify...

You created the flash drive with Rufus using as source the ISO generated from the DVD?

Booting from the DVD works but not with the flash drive created with the above procedure?

What is the size of the flash drive you used? also can you post a screenshot showing the error.

Edited by SleepyDude, 28 January 2018 - 06:32 AM.
Add extra question...

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Now even worse... Can't boot anymore yesterday was able to do it...

To answer to your questions :

Yes
Yes
8gb

Snapshot attached

Thanks for the help!!

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• 417C4AF8-C8D9-44F7-8461-CEE60BDDDDCF.jpeg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Can you access the flash drive on windows and see the files there?

From a command prompt running as Administrator execute chkdsk on the flash drive:

chkdsk /f /x X:

Note: Replace X: with the drive letter corresponding to the flash drive.

Sometimes the flash drive contents gets corrupted because of failed boot tries if we remove it during reading, etc. this happen to me several times...

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Thanks! I can reproduce the same issue now

it was done with the original image, not the modified one

Picture2.jpg

Picture1.jpg

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

The image show that the SSD isn't detected.

Is the OS detected if you boot using the DVD?

Advertisements

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

yes no issue with it... except that I don't have the Ethernet driver

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

That is strange! Do you have the BIOS set to UEFI Disable or CSM Mode or something like that the names change from Manufacture to Manufacture.

In some machines if you use the boot menu to select the flash drive there are different options to boot in UEFI mode or CSM mode if this is your make sure you select the option not for UEFI.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I've checked the BIOS:

- boot sequence: Legacy (UEFI is deselected)

- Advanced boot options: Enable legacy option ROM (Enable attempt legacy boot disabled)

- Integrated NIC: "Enable UEFI Network Stack" disabled

It seems that this is not the problem, if I've understood well your direction... 

thanks!!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

- Advanced boot options: Enable legacy option ROM (Enable attempt legacy boot disabled)

Not sure about this if its a typo! Any option to allow legacy boot should be enabled.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

After some thinking, I have the idea of check if Dell have a recovery disk, and they have! just input the service code and you can download a system restore image to write on the USB (Note: their tool doesn't work for the flashing part, I've used Rufus for it)

So far so good: system boot, there is a folder with the USB3 drivers and I can see now the external disk. Select the image, start the process of writing the image and... doesn't work again!!!

Error code: 0x807800B6

I've tried to unplug the USB as recommended on some web sites but doesn't work

I've even tried to install the Ethernet drivers (since I can see the USB I can add the drivers manually) and I can see the image but then I'm not able to run it (it's the same of the one in the USB disk)

any idea? I've tried the recovery process all today without any success...

thanks!