Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Image unable to retrieve

Best Answer Faina , 04 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Dear Sleepydude, I've had finally the time to speak with our IT and uninstall the Dell Encryption is not possible. The good news is that in Win 10 we use Bitlocker so maybe I can be successful... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

I also found that information from Dell related to the machine you have, I didn't post about it because the dell image will have Windows 7 Pro and not the Windows 7 Enterprise you have now!

Can you install free software on the machine? I'm asking because Macrium Reflect Free https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree can be used also on Commercial Use and the tool will create a rescue disk specific for your machine, this will give you better chances of a working solution...

With the flash drive inserted power on the machine and access the BIOS, check if you have some options related with the flash drive, see if there is some information about the type of emulation used for the flash drive as HDD, floppy, Zip, cd. the flash drive should be detected as HDD, sometimes you have to force that if the BIOS allow it.

There are different type of flash drives out there if you can try another one from a different brand, usually bigger drives (> 4GB) are more problematic with this type of thing smaller ones are usually better.

Advertisements

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

not really but I can use it only for this job

I read the specifications and I don't understand one thing: can I create the recovery disk only with that tool or do I need to do the full backup? I prefer to use the standard windows image if possible, so it's standard

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

You have to create the Recovery Disk and the full backup. In my opinion those backup programs perform better than the Windows built-in tool and are more versatile in the tasks that you can do.

The windows recovery can only restore the backup and will refuses to work if you change the computer configuration for example... The Macrium reflect rescue can be used to do restore but also for backups. You can remove the installed software and use only the boot disk if you want.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

so can I use that tool just for the boot disk and then use the image created by win7?

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

No.

You have to create the Recovery Disk and the full backup. In my opinion those backup programs perform better than the Windows built-in

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Ok give me a couple of days for try it :)

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Ok. Keep me updated.

I suspect that if the problem is the flash drive then the macrium rescue will also fail, if its drivers related then the tool that creates the rescue should detect and include all the needed drivers.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ok the tool you recommended works brilliantly, fast and accurate

The issue is that when windows try to start, when the logo compose, I got bsod like before with the window image

Attached a screen shot

Do I need to purchase since the free version doesn't support hw changes?

Thanks!

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• 483B0784-47E9-493B-96F4-65099EACD438.jpeg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Do I need to purchase since the free version doesn't support hw changes?

Are you restoring the image to a different computer?

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Is the same model number but could have some hw differences, unfortunately I'm not sure...

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

If the hardware have only small differences the image should work without the need of the feature to restore to dissimilar hardware. Of course after restoring the image you will have to install the correct drivers and remove the ones that doesn't apply to the new machine.

Did you backup/restore all the system partitions?

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Yes the differences are minimal so should work...

Yes I've done the full image

Any idea on why still doesn't work?

Thanks!

Cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Can you boot in safe mode? Did you change any options on msconfig -> boot -> Advanced options on the original image?

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

no, after loading all the drivers I got the same BSOD

no, I didn't change the msconfig

thanks

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Before doing the backup make sure Windows doesn't have any errors by running sfc /scannow

When doing a clone to another machine you need to make sure the BIOS options are set the same in terms of UEFI/CSM, Secure Boot, Hard Disk controller mode, things that are enabled/disabled, etc.

Did you install the Windows 7 Enterprise fresh on the machine or its an upgrade from the original Windows Pro?