Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Image unable to retrieve

Best Answer Faina , 04 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Dear Sleepydude, I've had finally the time to speak with our IT and uninstall the Dell Encryption is not possible. The good news is that in Win 10 we use Bitlocker so maybe I can be successful... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Ok, I suggest you try to create the image also by booting from the Rescue Disk, this is the method I always use.

Advertisements

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I assume you say using Macrium, right?

let me see if I understand

- create a rescue disk

- boot from it

- create the image

- try to apply to the target PC and let see

is it correct?

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Yes all that :)

You only need to create the Rescue Disk on the original machine then you can use it on the other machines, if it doesn't work properly then the target machine have a very different hardware or the BIOS/UEFI settings "don't match".

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Ok I've done it but I got the same error... BSOD

I've tried to use the Macrium "repair windows boot" and now I got the 

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I've found this article: is it what I have to do now? I'm thing to reflash the BIOS as well... what do you think?

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I some ideas to fix that but before doing anything please do this, on the original machine open the Device Manager, expand Computer and tell me the type of machine.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

acpi x64-based PC

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Ok, now can you do the same on the other machine that didn't accept the image?

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I can't because I can't start it... the drive has been formatted already...

is there a line command for it? 

or we need to wait until tuesday because I can ask to reinstall the standard image so I can start windows, and I'll flash exactly the same BIOS version of the source machine just to be sure

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Sorry don't know other way to check that.

You don't have the Windows 7 install DVD to do a simple installation?

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Yes but I don't have the win key, it's in the hands of the admin...

I'll let you know tuesday when I can have access to it

thanks!

cheers

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Yes but I don't have the win key, it's in the hands of the admin...

You don't need a key just for testing. The Enterprise version I have at my work doesn't ask for a key during install because usually its activated using a KMS server...

If the DVD you have asks for a key then you can use the KMS client key provided by Microsoft here

Windows 7 Enterprise 33PXH-7Y6KF-2VJC9-XBBR8-HVTHH

You don't need to activate Windows only to confirm the type of machine that is detected during the install and also no need to install the drivers for the machine .

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

ok did it!!

target PC type ACPI x64-based PC

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

The machines are detected as the same type so the hal.dll isn't a problem, it seems the Macrium fix did something wrong!

Try to follow this guide https://www.sysnativ...ws-7-vista.htmlsee if rebuilding the BCD works.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

everything done successfully but still the same result... BSOD...  :smashcomp:  :smashcomp:  :smashcomp:

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Just for curiosity if you boot the machine in Safe Mode it will list the Windows and drivers loaded, what is the last name you see on the screen before the BSOD?

In my opinion if the main objective is to deploy the same image to several other machines then you need to start fresh with baby steps to pinpoint what is wrong.

Start by installing only Windows with all the updates and create a folder containing all the drivers that you need for the different machines, if possible extract the drivers, when Windows start on a different machine will detect the hardware change and ask for the needed drivers its simpler to enter c:\drivers and let Windows install them...

I don't know the type of Windows activation you use, unless you have a KMS server the master image shouldn't be activated for example if you use a MAK key (count activation's).

If the Windows image works then keep it safe and create a new one by including software that you need. If you use software created by others besides Microsoft try to include all MS first and test the image then the others using a new image.

The idea is to find if the problem is with Windows or any other software that you install.