Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Image unable to retrieve

Best Answer Faina , 04 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Dear Sleepydude, I've had finally the time to speak with our IT and uninstall the Dell Encryption is not possible. The good news is that in Win 10 we use Bitlocker so maybe I can be successful... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Dear Sleepydude,

as tentative, I've installed exactly the same bios version but still have the BSOD

the latest driver is cmgfve.sys, that seems to be the disk encryption from Dell

do you know if there is any workaround for it?

thanks!

cheers

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

The last line printed is the last driver successfully loaded not exactly the one that gives you problems, I ask because some times the last one is a know Windows driver like classpnp.sys that indicates a problem detecting the hardware devices.

Do you use that encryption tool? those type of tools can be problematic...

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I think that the disk is encrypted... do you know how I can verify it?

the driver that I sent you is the last one that is loaded, then BSOD. I even tried to capture a video but nothing comes after that

thanks

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

If you boot using the Mcrium Reflect rescue in the windows taskbar there is a button for PE Explorer or something like that it can be used to navigate on the drives if they are encrypted it will fail or show something strange I believe.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

ok I'll try it tonight

I was thinking: what about creating a virtual PC from my existing PC? I've read many people that are doing it but very confusing and fragmented information. Maybe it could be easier

I can't restore right there the image but I can have all my data and installation in case of disaster

what do you think?

thanks

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

I think to convert the physical Windows to a VM you will need a specific tool depending on the virtualizer that you use, for simplicity and best results probably you need a paid product...

Its also possible to do that like if you are working with a real PC by creating an full backup image to a network location, boot the VM using the Rescue Disk and restore to image to the HDD on the virtual machine, but for this to work you need a software with the option to restore on different hardware because Windows inside the VM will not see the real hardware and must be adjusted to work on the new hardware presented by the virtualizer.

Don't forget that Windows to run inside the VM will need a new license...

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I've successfully created the vhd file, and mounted it so I can see all the files in my hard disk

I've tried to boot it (BSOD) and use oracle VM (BSOD, same error)

it seems to me that some encryption is causing this issue...

if you don't have any other idea I'm thinking to use the vhd as backup (at least I have a full image) and in case of disaster reinstall everything step by step

what do you think?

thanks

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

You can do the same with the Macrium image (access files) but I don't think this is a good backup!

The product you use is Dell Data Protection? is the full HDD encrypted?

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

yes to both... is there any way to include that certificate in the Macrium back up?

I've downloaded the Dell backup tool but it's very very very slow and the free version is not able to restore an image...

Any trick based on my situation?

thanks!

cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

If the disk is full encrypted how can you see files inside the backup?

I didn't see your answer about what happen when you try to access the HDD contents using the PE explorer when you boot using the Macrium Reflect Rescue.

Advertisements

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ah sorry about that...

If I mount the vhd image I can see all the files, but when I open the Dell encryption tool it says me that the disk is encrypted
Any guess?

Thanks!!

Cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Maybe there is a data partition encrypted and not the all disk?

If there is data encrypted I'm not sure you could create the backup without unlocking the data first or by enabling some special mode on the Dell Software. I found one article about the Dell software that explain a special procedure users must follow to allow Windows 10 to install new Windows editions or things go wrong.

If there isn't data encrypted but the dell software can't be included on the image, for deployment you may have to create an image with everything except the dell software and include only the installer with a script to install the software automatically on first boot.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ok I need to check with my IT if this procedure is possible but I can do only around the end of the week
Please give me some time
Thanks for the help!!!

Cheers

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

No problem.

The article of which I spoke https://www.dell.com...gration?lang=en

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
✓  Best Answer

Dear Sleepydude,

I've had finally the time to speak with our IT and uninstall the Dell Encryption is not possible. The good news is that in Win 10 we use Bitlocker so maybe I can be successful with Macrium.

I'll do a VHD and a plain copy of my actual disk, check if I can access to all of my files on a dummy PC, make a fresh install of win10 and see if I can finally get the image done

Thanks again for your support, it speed up the root cause identification

cheers