Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent Mouse Problem

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

It started suddenly when I was trying to trim a photo in MS Paint. The mouse wouldn't drag the edge of the photo. The drag and drop problem also happens trying to play Microsoft Solitaire, and sometimes I can't move down a Web page if there is a scroll bar at the side. This seems to be an intermittent problem since sometimes the mouse works fine for a while, then "acts up", then it's fine again for a while. My system is using Windows 7 - 64 bit with a Logitech M100 optical wired mouse (about 4 years old). The cursor moves around okay, just seems to be the drag and drop function is getting finicky.

I tried cleaning around the outside of the clicker and dusting the bottom yesterday. Worked for a while, now it's doing it again, plus sometimes seems to "double click" when I press the left button. I even tried to "switch" the left and right clickers. That worked, but it is awkward for me to use that way. I also tried to update the mouse driver, but it said I have the best driver for it already.

I have no other mouse to swap out to test. I am trying to work around having the trouble and expense of having to go to a big box store 15 miles away to get a new one, if that is indeed the problem. I hesitate to take it apart since, with my skill and manual dexterity, am more likely to do more damage - better an intermittent working mouse than one that doesn't work at all. Is it more likely a problem with the mouse itself, a software issue or a virus? Will I just have to bite the bullet ad spring for a new mouse? Any other advice?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,085 posts
Hello,

I'd bite the bullet and spring to the big box store 15 miles away and get a mouse.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

I am now wondering if software could cause this. It seems after I open and use Kodak EasyShare, the problem happens. I have not used that program today and the mouse is working fine, so far.