Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Windows 7 Install over Windows XP (Resolved).

Best Answer Jackpine , 16 February 2018 - 01:05 PM

Hi phillpower2, My new Windows 7 installation is working well. I believe that Windows 7 and higher does not allow my 2 DVD-ROM drives to be shown along with C drive and other disk drives... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Greetings,

My desktop computer currently has the Windows XP operating system installed.  I checked with a Microsoft utility, and my hardware is able to support Windows 7.  As a result, I have purchased a Windows 7 OS disc and am planning to install it, but I first need some guidance.

First, some background about my system:  My desktop has a C drive for Windows XP and all installed programs.  There is 1 internal hard drive (Z for data), and 1 external hard drive (F also for data).  I have 2 internal DVD burners (D and E).  I already have the discs for the programs that I have currently on the computer, so I can reinstall them after.

1.  Do I need to disconnect these drives (D, E, F, and Z) before I install Windows 7, or can they remain connected, including power?  If they can remain connected, is there anything I need to do for Windows 7 to recognize them, including naming them?  When in the installation process will that be done?

2. Do I need to update drivers at one point during the installation?

3.  Is it basically a process where I need to change the boot order to a DVD drive first instead of the current C drive, and then switch back to C after Windows 7 is installed?

Any guidance is appreciated.  I may have more questions once I get into this.

Thank you. Jackpine

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Jackpine,

1: You are wise to ask here if unsure and tbh if you are ok with doing so I would physically disconnect your data drives so as to avoid any possible mishaps.

2: Before you begin, download and save the Windows 7 version of drivers for all of your hardware, after installing Windows 7 you should next install the chipset drivers for your motherboard.

3: Correct.

In addition to the above, Windows 7 formats a HDD as part of the installation process, you mention installing over XP, can I ask what is the storage capacity of the HDD and is XP on its own partition on the HDD.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi phillpower2!  You have helped me out in the past a number of times.  I hope you are well.

Per your comments above:

1.  OK, I will disconnect the data drives and reinstall one by one.  What about the DVD burning drives?  Can they stay connected?

2a.  I wasn't aware that there are Windows 7 version of hardware drivers.  I thought there are just more current versions, period, regardless of operating system.  So should I download and save these drivers for my printer, monitor and mouse?  Anything else?

2b.  My motherboard is an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe. Do I go to the Asus website to get the chipset drivers?  Is it possible that I already have the current chipset?

3.  My HDD capacity is 300GB.  I'm not sure if XP is on its own partition.  How do I check that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hi Jack,

As above, just disconnect the data drive/s, you need at least one DVD drive fuctional to be able to install Windows 7.

The latest drivers available for your MB are for Vista, download them from here and save them to a thumb drive, your mouse should be fine but the printer will need to be installed using the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer

If you are presently running XP then you will be using XP drivers, no longer supported so the drivers could hardly be described as current  :P

Open Disk Manager, expand it to full screen, grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us.

How to access Disk Manager here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Here is the screenshot.  Please tell me if I have to open any more of the Device Manager and send you further screenshots.Device Manager Screenshot.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Disk Manager not Device Manager Jim, see example pic here for what we need.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Sorry about that.  Here it is.

Attached Thumbnails

• Disc Manager.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks  :thumbsup:

No separate partition so XP will be erased when you install Windows 7.

Best practice is to install Windows on to its own partition, this helps to make it easier to back up and less likely of it becoming corrupted, in this instance i would suggest that you create a partition of around 145GB for Windows, drivers and AV protection, this will allow for all of the past and future updates to be installed + make sure that when support for Windows 7 stops in a couple of years you will have adequate space on the partition to upgrade Windows 7 to a newer OS such as Windows 10.

Partitioning info  courtesy of iseeuu here

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Phillpower2,

I looked at the link for partitioning.  I think I understand all the steps, but please clarify a few things for me.

1.  Why do you suggest creating a partition of around 145GB?  Is a smaller size also OK?

2.  Where will I install all my programs, on the same partition as Windows 7 or in the remainder of my HDD?

3.  What will the remainder of the HDD be used for, if not for programs?

I think that's it for now.  Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

1: Please re read my reply #8 as I explained why such a size was recommended for installing Windows.

2 & 3: The other partition on the HDD and your external F: drive.

A 300GB HDD is really only of any use as a boot drive these days and fwif where a customers budget allows it I include a minimum of a 256GB SSD drive in the build just for Windows and a 1TB for data only.

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

OK, makes sense.

So when I install my programs on the other partition of the HDD, how do I identify the partition?  Is it also called C drive, or something else?  In other words, how do I prevent installing Microsoft Office (for example) on the partition that has Windows 7 instead of the other partition on the HDD?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

By default any drive that has Windows on it will be allocated the letter C: the other partition you can actually manually allocate it a name such as Data only, see guide courtesy of Brink here before installing anything just be sure that you select the appropriate destination.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

If I put all data on my two extra HDDs (F and Z) - which I do at present - is there any particular reason why I shouldn't just put Windows 7, updates, drivers, and all programs on my directly on the current C drive without making a partition?  I don't see any advantage for making a partition since I don't put data of any sort on the drive.  Or am I missing something?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Nothing at all to stop you from doing that but I have explained certain benefits of not doing so;

Best practice is to install Windows on to its own partition, this helps to make it easier to back up and less likely of it becoming corrupted,

In addition to the above a couple more good reasons, for Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt or not being able to update which puts you at risk of malware attack, equally as important is being prepared for the need to upgrade to another OS, Windows 7 is nearing its end of life and extended support will cease on January 14, 2020, when the time comes you will only have to worry about upgrading or clean installing Windows to the C: partition as opposed to needing to reinstall all of your programs and data if they were kept on a separate partition on the same drive.

Windows will also boot up quicker on its own partition as it does not need to install drivers for any third party programs.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you Jack, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.