Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Windows 7 Install over Windows XP (Resolved).

Best Answer Jackpine , 16 February 2018 - 01:05 PM

Hi phillpower2, My new Windows 7 installation is working well. I believe that Windows 7 and higher does not allow my 2 DVD-ROM drives to be shown along with C drive and other disk drives... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi phillpower2, you must have read my mind!

I took your advice and installed Windows 7 by creating a partition as instructed in post #8.  The install went well, and I have been re-installing a number of my programs over the last couple of days.  Windows 7 works very well (with a couple of minor issues that I will describe shortly.)  I also updated Firefox to the latest version, and it is working almost at light speed compared to what I had with Windows XP and the last version of Firefox available that works with XP.  So glad to have made the change!  Now, the 2 minor issues:

1.  I have two speakers plugged into the back of the desktop and the speaker icon on the bottom of the screen next to the date/time has a small red dot with a white x in it.  When I hover the mouse over it, the message is "No speakers or headphones are plugged in."  I haven't done any troubleshooting on this as of yet, since I was doing all the program installations, and completing various personal Windows settings. 

2.  I have 2 DVD drives.  I confirmed that they work because when I put discs into them to install programs, they work.  The issue is that the drive letters do not appear when I am in Windows Explorer, and I look under Computer.  My other drives are there: C, F and Z (the last two being data drives.)

Any thoughts on how to get my speakers working again and to have the DVD drive letters show up in Windows Explorer?

Thank you for your help and advice!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Have you re-installed the drivers for the motherboard yet and starting with the chipset drivers first.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

When I did Windows 7 update, part of the update were the drivers.  I don't recall if an audio driver was one of them.  (I used to have Realtek HD Audio Manager with ALC882M audio Codec.)

Attached is a screenshot of the Device Manager with the new Windows 7 installed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Win 7 Device Manager.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
When I did Windows 7 update, part of the update were the drivers. 

You cant rely on Windows to install the correct drivers and need to install them yourself, some of Windows generic drivers are fine for some devices such as for the mouse and keyboard but Windows does not have generic drivers for every single device, it would be impossible for them to do for one thing and another is because it is not the responsibility of Microsoft to develop drivers for other companies hardware, this is potentially the reason why you have no audio, if you check your previous XP Device Manager screenshot  and your current Windows 7 Device Manager screenshot you will see that you are missing any Sound, video and game controllers, Windows has no generic drivers for the Realtek device so the device is disabled, the procedure was explained to you btw  :P

From my reply #2;

2: Before you begin, download and save the Windows 7 version of drivers for all of your hardware, after installing Windows 7 you should next install the chipset drivers for your motherboard.

and reply #4;

The latest drivers available for your MB are for Vista, download them from here and save them to a thumb drive, your mouse should be fine but the printer will need to be installed using the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer

Boot into Safe Mode only (no networking) try installing just the Vista chipset drivers first, restart and test, if still no audio device, repeat the Safe Mode only procedure to install the Vista Realtek Audio drivers and again restart and test, this will hopefully get you sorted.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I installed the Vista chipset drivers and then the Vista Realtek Audio drivers as you indicated above.  Lo and behold, I not only have sound now, but I also have the Realtek HD Audio Manager (if I want to do fancy audio things like install a 7.1 speaker system, for example.)  A screenshot of Device Manager is provided below.

I apologize for not listening to you at the outset.  I think that when Windows 7 installed without problem and I say various drivers to be installed as part of the Microsoft update package, I jumped the gun and figured that everything was going to be OK.

My mistake.  That's why I'm asking you questions, and not the other way around! 

Anyways, I'm really happy that you sorted this out for me.

Now, there only remains the second issue of the drive letters for my two DVD burners not showing up in Windows Explorer (along with the other drives that do show up.)

Thank you.

Win 7 with Realtek HD Audio Driver.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem, glad you got the sound working etc  :thumbsup:

Can you post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager for us, will be going offline shortly so it may be tomorrow before I get back to you.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I had to post 2 screenshots of Device Manager so you could see the details.

Attached Thumbnails

• Device Manager 1 of 2.jpg
  • Device Manager 2 of 2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager for us

Disk Manager please Jack 

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Here it is.

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk Management.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I am seeing CD ROM/s D and E in your screenshot!

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Windows XP always showed CD ROMs D and E in Windows Explorer under Computer.  Windows 7 doesn't.  Is that how it's supposed to be?  I wonder why G drive is shown, since that is a removable storage as well.

I guess it doesn't really matter if those two drives are not shown under Computer (because they are both fully functional), but if there is a way for them to be shown there, I would like to do it.

I will be away from my computer starting Sat Feb 10, returning Fri Feb 16.

Attached Thumbnails

• Windows Explorer.jpg

Edited by Jackpine, 09 February 2018 - 02:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Windows XP always showed CD ROMs D and E in Windows Explorer under Computer.  Windows 7 doesn't.  Is that how it's supposed to be?  

From memory as long as there is no disk in the drive yes that is how it is meant to be, same as my Windows 10, you can always create a shortcut for each drive on your desktop.

I wonder why G drive is shown, since that is a removable storage as well.

Sorry but not sure what you mean, what type of device is the G: drive, looking at the storage capacity it gives the impression that it could be a a USB or SD device.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Jack, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Hi phillpower2. I have been away from my computer the last 4 days. Coming home this Saturday and will contact you then.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies Jack, you did mention it last week  :oops: