Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU stress on higher resolution

Best Answer starjax , 05 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

ok, so my 4k screen causes a slight increase with cpu and memory.  cpu: amd a10-7700k and 8gigs ram 1080p:50% cpu64% memory 4k:57% cpu69% memory A slight increase, but not... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hello everyone,

I have a question about resolution. At the moment I am using an older FX6300 overclocked to 4.5Ghz and a GTX 1060 3gb on a 720P(1360x768) TV.
I am kinda playing most of games on ultra but soon I am planning to change the TV to a better one that will have Full HD (1920x1080) or more.
I know my GPU is one of those strongest ones and is cappable of running 1080P without much of trouble unlike my CPU(Which is more problematic on newer games).
So I was wondering, if I change the screen(From 720P to 1080P), that means I'll have double of pixels to handle for GPU(It will be under bigger stress) but that does also mean that my CPU will be less stressed because more of the "work" will go to the GPU? Or it has nothing to do with CPU in this case? Because I've heard that putting more stress on GPU somewhat makes your CPU less bottleneck'y etc.

As a bonus, I'd like to ask if my CPU is a big bottleneck to the GPU. I've ran quite some tests with utilisation statistics but the CPU doesn't want to really go above 50-80% in most of cases in even games where I barely get 30FPS, while GPU also goes around ~70-80%(Why not both going for more if there's place for it as it seems- that 20%)

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

resolution is more dependent on your gpu, which should handle it just fine.  if you find your games are bottle-necked, you may need to turn down the settings some.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I appreciate the answer but it didn't really answer my question about the CPU.
Shortly saying, raising resolution will squeeze more out of GPU, but will CPU will be affected more or less regarding the resolution change?

Here's a topic I've read which got me interested. Maybe it will make it more clear to you to understand what I want to know
http://www.tomshardw...-cpu-usage.html

Thanks in advance

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

There are two parts to your question, resolution and game performance.  To answer the basic question, will resolution have an impact on the cpu performance.  NO it will not.  However, if you play games at the native resolution, they will probably use more cpu. 

To be fair, I have an a10 amd cpu with an nvidia 1050ti.  I upgraded this past year from a 42" 1080p screen to a 65" 4k. I haven't noticed any impact.  Your cpu is better than mine any issues. 

That being said, if your considering an upgrade, The new ADM ryzen cpu's are really good.

because I can, I will run some benchmarks for you since I still have the older tv.  Compare CPU usage on each tv.  I'll post the results in a day or two.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I see, so basically the change to higher resolution, regarding gaming performance- it will be on GPU's shoulders.
May I ask, would I notice any lower performance in gaming if I go from 720P(1360x768) to 1080P(1920x1080) screen? Will my GTX 1060 not handle the higher resolution knowing it's performance, or the 1080P is just fine for my current GPU? I am playing most of games like BF1/Witcher 3/Gta 5 on high-ultra 60 fps with my current rig and 720P TV. SO I was wondering, if the better TV will make me downgrade the graphics much or it's really worth the try as my GPU is just fine for 1080P gaming with my current set of CPU etc.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
✓  Best Answer

ok, so my 4k screen causes a slight increase with cpu and memory. 

cpu: amd a10-7700k and 8gigs ram

1080p:

50% cpu

64% memory

4k:

57% cpu

69% memory

A slight increase, but not much.  it would be less going from 720 to 1080.  Pretty much negligible. Your 1060 video card will be just fine.  It can handle up to 4k gaming (though at 4k you will be running a medium settings and not high in your games).  A better tv will simply allow you a more enjoyable experience.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Oh that's what I wanted to hear. Was worried that I'll need to upgrade my CPU as it's kinda old but you made it clear. Thank you for the help then, keep the good work!