Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer periodically rebooting with no warning

• Please log in to reply

jtg22

jtg22

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Hello,

At least three times now this week, my computer has attempted to reboot itself with no indication or warning.  The first two times were at 3:00AM earlier this week (Sunday and Monday morning I think).  The most recent time was around 2:00PM today.  I'm not sure if this is malware related or possibly a windows update issue.  It could even be video card related.

I'm not getting any sort of Windows message when this happens.  It also happens very quickly - I don't see programs closing but rather the whole computer simply reboots.  Additionally, while one of the three incidents had the computer restart normally, the other two did not.  For the 2nd incident, all I had on the screen was a blank screen with some white startup text describing the video card I have.  For the third incident, the computer beeped a few times and did not seem to be sending a signal to the monitor.  

In between the 2nd and 3rd incident, I did change the computer's active and inactive hours, to see if that was the cause of it restarting at 3AM.  I'm not sure why it would now do this at 2PM.  Furthermore, I don't leave the computer constantly running, so it does have opportunities to do necessary resets.  Windows Defender hasn't shown any issues.

The computer is mostly used for playing WoW, so I usually have that open along with skype and discord.

I'm not getting any sort of performance issues otherwise, but this does worry me quite a bit.  

EDIT:  It just did it again at 3:45PM; no issues with it restarting though.

EDIT2:  I had trouble getting the computer to even boot up correctly this morning, so I'm assuming it's a hardware error at this point (likely a video card error.  So, I'm taking it to a shop to have them dust the computer and look at the components.  

I'm not sure how to close or delete topics.

Edited by jtg22, 03 February 2018 - 02:31 PM.

Advertisements