Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD / DVD drive not recognised after Win 10 update

CD drive gone; Win 10 update;

Best Answer woolhatwoman , 28 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Hello Phillpower2. No. Sadly, replacing the old drive made no difference. Removing the old drive and putting in a brand new drive made no difference, either.I trawled through a lot of Toshiba... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

I have a Toshiba laptop, bought 2012, now running Windows 10.

Following a recent big (5.5 hours) update by Win10, File Explorer does not show the built in CD / DVD drive. I want to upload some photos from old photodisc CDs, but since the laptop can't 'see' the drive, I can't 'tell' it where to 'look' for the photos.

- any ideas please?

Edited by woolhatwoman, 03 February 2018 - 11:50 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   woolhatwoman,

Have you checked in the Device Manager to see if the drive is listed there.

I have a Sony Vaio notebook and the DVD drive has never worked since upgrading to Windows 10 even though it is detected and said by Windows to be working properly  :(

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thank you, phillpower2! I pummelled the Settings thing until it showed me Devices. Sadly it then gave me this message:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

*many* years ago I might have attempted a regedit. These days? Nope. Do you have any advice, please? I'd accept "ask someone else" if you like!

Edited by woolhatwoman, 03 February 2018 - 01:58 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Try right clicking on the device in the Device Manager, uninstall it, restart the computer and see if Windows reinstalls the drive.

You are welcome btw  :)

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Ah, nope.

Windows didn't reinstall the drive after a restart, so I gave it the "Have you tried switching it off and back on again?" treatment, but no.

I'll have a look at things I have read about like the "cdgone" app, and will no doubt be back on here if I can't get a result!

The irony is, I used to work on an IT helpdesk - but it was for big servers with big bundles of data, and these dinky little PCs baffle me!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Is the drive detected in the BIOS.

Not sure that they will work with Windows 10 but a couple of suggestions for you below;

• (For Windows XP Users)
  • Click Start then Run
    (For Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users)
  • Click Start and select the white box.
    (And from here for all users.)
  • Type regedit and hit Enter
  • In the left pane, expand (Click on the [+]) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  • then SYSTEM
  • then CurrentControlSet
  • then Control
  • then Class
  • and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  • Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export.
  • Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. (Note: This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.)
  • In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.
  • Close Registry Editor and Reboot.

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from here. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the [b]READ ME FIRST.TXT[/b] file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above.

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

No.

regedit >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SYSTEM >> CurrentControlSet >> Control >> Class >>  {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}  ---  No "UpperFilters" no "LowerFilters" were shown at all.

Reboot had no effect. Switch off / switch on had no effect.

I downloaded the "cdgone" app files. The "Readmefirst.txt" file is in Spanish, but Google translated it for me ... :) Makes sense.

The instructions only refer to Win 95 and Win 98 (last sensible Windows, in my opinion, but that's irrelevant!)

I will look around a bit more and may end up taking it to the shop for "Expert" attention.

Thanks, though, it's interesting to be in this stuff again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

If the drive is not detected in the BIOS it may have failed or the internal electrical contacts between the drive and the notebooks motherboard could need cleaning.

Does the drive tray open and close at all when you press the eject button.

NB: Most drives are only held in by a single screw and so are easy to remove/clean and/or replace.

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

The drive does open and close when I press the button, and it whirrs when it closes as if trying to read - BUT its registry entry is missing, or wrong, or not recognised.

It's an Error Code 19, so a recognised error: 

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I have found a lot online, about Code 19 and other similar error codes, which suggests it's really common when Windows 10 is updated on an "old" machine.

I've run both the regedit exes in the downloaded file, and restarted, but the filename in Device still has its yellow triangle and its ! .

I wish I could insert a screenshot to show you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

The drive not being recognised in the BIOS is the major worry, the drive tray opening and closing is nothing to do with the BIOS or Windows but an electrical signal.

Can you post the full model name and number of the Toshiba notebook and if known the DVD drive itself, we can then look to see if there is a firmware update for the drive.

Advertisements

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

OK.

Laptop name:     TOSHIBA Satellite C660D - 1GR  

CD/DVD drive:    HL - DT - ST DVDRAM GT30N SATA Cd Rom Device

I hope this is correct, I got the CDdrive name from Device Manager and the laptop name from a sticker on the base ...

Your efforts are much appreciated!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Check the dirty contact possibility first, how to remove and replace the drive info here

Thank you btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you woolhatwoman, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't intend to leave it so long. Nothing has changed, I'm afraid, and I haven't taken the drive out. I got a small screwdriver and turned the laptop upside down, unplugged the mains input and took out the battery then I couldn't decide which screw to undo, and chickened out. :(

Please don't spend any more of your time on it - you have given me so much advice already. I will go back through each separate way of troubleshooting you have suggested, and see if I can remove the drive when I've got the instructions printed out.  Then I'll get back to you and tell you what happened. It will have to be tomorrow evening, though, because Friday is quite busy for me.

Thank you again, "see" you tomorrow.

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello again. I have unscrewed and removed the drive, and replaced it, and it made no difference.

Then my husband got interested - he used to be an electronics person - and we went through all of the steps you have been so patiently going through - no change.

So, is there an option on the Forum to mark a topic as "Shelved"?! I can't mark it as "Solved" but I really don't want to take up your time any more!

Thankyou though x