Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD / DVD drive not recognised after Win 10 update

CD drive gone; Win 10 update;

Best Answer woolhatwoman , 28 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Hello Phillpower2. No. Sadly, replacing the old drive made no difference. Removing the old drive and putting in a brand new drive made no difference, either.I trawled through a lot of Toshiba... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Never worry about taking up anyone's time, we are here to help for as long as it takes, I only ask for an update after three days to check if folk are still around and to make sure that they received notification of my latest reply.

After removing and replacing the drive, did you check the BIOS again to see if it was listed there.

Advertisements

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Yes, following the instructions you gave me earlier, and it is not there. No change from before.

I went to the Toshiba website to look for any information about the drive, and in its Archive there is a list of laptop tyes that Toshiba supports for upgrade to Win10.

And this one - the C660D - is not there. So, the manufacturer doesn't support it for Windows 10, and that probably explains why I couldn't find any reference to DVD/CD-ROM driver update for Windows 10.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

The drive not being recognised in the BIOS suggests that this is hardware as opposed to software related.

If you have a spare USB thumb drive you could download Puppy Linux, boot from that and then see if the DVD/CD drive will work.

Instructions on how to boot from a flash drive with Puppy Linux here

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

W-e-e-ll, forgive me but I think we have a different solution - husband says he'll buy me a new drive for my birthday, which is coming up soon. Now, obviously I don't know if this will work as expected.

Doing an Uninstall and a Reinstall on the existing drive - Does that delete the existing Registry keys and rewrite them as new? If so, then it's possible that any physically new drive will be treated the same, and,  basically, writing a brand new and different Registry entry won't make any difference. Be interesting (though possibly frustrating) to find out!

Can we leave this for 1 week now? So, I'll set a reminder to tell you whther installing a new drive with its new drivers has worked.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

There is nothing to suggest that there is anything wrong with the registry atm, as said if the drive is not detected by the BIOS (which has nothing to do with Windows) it suggest that the problem is hardware related, as the computer is working ok other than the DVD issue a failed drive or bad MB connection are the two prime suspects.

If the drive was detected in the BIOS it could be down to either software or hardware.

No worries about how long it takes to get back to us, we are aware of your plans and your thread can be put on hold.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Not heard back from you woolhatwoman, did fitting a new drive resolve the issue or you.

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Phillpower2.

No. Sadly, replacing the old drive made no difference. Removing the old drive and putting in a brand new drive made no difference, either.

I trawled through a lot of Toshiba forum Q & As, and tucked away somewhere I found a list of Toshiba laptops that are guaranteed to work with Windows 10. This particular laptop was not amongst them ... I have just gone back to the Toshiba site to try to find the list, but the site won't recognise my laptop serial number or series code as valid, so, since I bought it in 2012, I am guessing it is simply out of date, out of support, a hasbeen.

I do thank you for your time looking at this issue - I know it is down to the Windows 10 update knocking out the registry entry/entries for the CD/DVD drive because hardware-wise the drive itself is clean and in working order.

Can we close this thread down as "Not Resolvable", do you think?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello woolhatwoman,

Thank you for the update, sorry to hear that it not better news though  :(

I have had to stop Windows 10 from automatically updating on the Sony Vaio notebook that I use when on the forums, If I don`t do this the 1709 feature update installs and disables the wireless device, tis to be expected on older hardware I`m afraid as Windows cannot be expected to provide compatible drivers for every third party device produced.

We can mark your reply #22 above as being the most appropriate answer if you like.

woolhatwoman

woolhatwoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Ah, it's so annoying but also understandable! OK. Please mark my reply above as the end of the line.

My husband tried rolling back the Win10 updates on his desktop but said, "They just sneak up with an extra-long one when you're not looking!"

Best wishes to you and your Vaio, I'll say Goodbye but at least i know where to go for future queries!

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Done  :thumbsup:

You can defer the big Windows 10 updates the same way that I have done which is explained here if the option is used just be sure to update Windows Defender manually if that is what is being used for AV protection.

You are welcome btw  :)

NB: Drop by the forums any time, you don`t need to be having computer problems to be able to visit.

Advertisements