Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Surface (Windows 10) touch screen keeps turning back on?

windows 10 tablet touch screen help

• Please log in to reply

egwythe37

egwythe37

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Windows 10 Surface tablet with a keyboard attached. A while ago, the screen cracked badly, causing the touch screen function to glitch to the point where I could barely navigate the log-in screen of my 'laptop'.
Using the device manager, I disabled the function in HID, and that was fine, but when I updated the software it turned back on and now - no matter how many times I disable or uninstall the touchscreen function - it always comes back after a few hours.
Any suggestions?

Edited by egwythe37, 04 February 2018 - 11:22 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I don't have touch screen on my Win 10 but I found this:

https://msdn.microso...y/ee503493.aspx

Do you have this key in the registry?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\DeviceMap\Touch

If so removing permissions on key Touch or just deleting the key might do the trick.

Note that it needs touch.dll to work.  So you could also try removing permissions from the file which is probably down in C:\Windows\System32\

If that doesn't work then you could run Process Monitor while disabling touch your usual way and see what key it changes then change the permissions on the key to Read Only.