Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop starts up only in low resolution (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 18 February 2018 - 07:05 AM

Suggests a problem with either the DC jack port on the notebook or the charging circuit itself, this was why I asked if the notebook would charge the battery at all and then work ok when using just... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

horseshoe

horseshoe

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Hi,

My dad's Lenovo Z470 with Windows 7 is shutting down automatically and the time it stays on based on how i start it:

(1) Normal start : in a few seconds

(2) Under Safe Mode, Low resolution (480X680) option : I can get to browse a web site or play a short video ad

I also try the last know good configuration and has the same result as option 2.

I try to remove the battery and ac charger and press on power button for 20 to 30 seconds. Then plug back the AC charger and still shutting down. 

I order a new charger and battery will test to see if this is the issue when i receive them. 

Please let me know what could be the issue and if you need additional information.

Thanks so much in advance!

Amy

Edited by horseshoe, 11 February 2018 - 07:06 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Not sure why horseshoe but the dialogue input box has no information in it.

For folk to be able to help it would be beneficial if you could provide the brand and exact model name/number of the notebook, what OS you are running and what if any steps you may have tried in an attempt to fix this yourself.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Strange, I have the info you mention but it is showing empty· I still see the info I provided this morning when I check.I am Outside now and will provide it later.
Thanks!

Edited by horseshoe, 11 February 2018 - 07:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

:thumbsup:

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I added a 3rd rely here last night but it is showing blank. I am editing this again to see if my reply will get wipe off again.

Edited by horseshoe, 12 February 2018 - 08:33 AM.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Looks like whenever i post / reply, i will get a blank post. i will have to edit it and then "Save Changes" in order for the post/reply to display.

Here is the info (just in case):

My dad's Lenovo Z470 with Windows 7 is shutting down automatically and the time it stays on based on how i start it:

(2) Under Safe Mode, Low resolution (480X680) option : I can get to browse a web site or play a short video ad

I also try the last know good configuration and has the same result as option 2.

I try to remove the battery and ac charger and press on power button for 20 to 30 seconds. Then plug back the AC charger and still shutting down. 

I order a new charger and battery will test to see if this is the issue when i receive them. 

Please let me know what could be the issue and if you need additional information.

Thanks so much in advance!

Edited by horseshoe, 12 February 2018 - 08:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

That is typical of an overheating issue, if it were third party driver related you would expect things to be ok in safe mode, the fact that it is not makes me think that it is heat related, the computer is under less load in safe mode so is not getting as hot as it would normally under full boot conditions.

A few questions for you;

Has the computer ever been cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

When you start up the notebook, how hot is the air that is blowing out of the exhaust vents and how hot does the base of the notebook feel.

Does the internal cooling fan sound like it is running normally.

Have you tried removing the battery and running on just the AC adapter.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Please see below for the answers to your questions:

Has the computer ever been cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

--Not at all.

When you start up the notebook, how hot is the air that is blowing out of the exhaust vents and how hot does the base of the notebook feel.

--It is not hot when I start it

Does the internal cooling fan sound like it is running normally.

-- I don't hear any noise that sounds like a fan when I start it

Have you tried removing the battery and running on just the AC adapter.

-- Yes, I have been testing without the battery.

One update I would like to make is: I test by stabilizing the power adaptor (with ac power  plug in, kind of lift the cord up instead of let it drop down ), the laptop stays on until i move it which cause the movement on the cord then the laptop shut down right away. it was on for 2 to 3 hours until I move it. 

Edited by horseshoe, 12 February 2018 - 09:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
One update I would like to make is: I test by stabilizing the power adaptor (with ac power  plug in, kind of lift the cord up instead of let it drop down ), the laptop stays on until i move it which cause the movement on the cord then the laptop shut down right away. it was on for 2 to 3 hours until I move it. 

Looks like you may have found the problem.

If not done already, try charging the battery while you have the cord supported and the computer able to run then remove the AC adapter to see if the notebook runs ok when just on the battery, please note that this will only be of any use with a battery that will still hold a charge and not an old battery that has reached its end of life and loses its charge quickly or possibly not hold any charge at all.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

<script> My battery was dead. As soon as i receive the new battery, I will test and post the result. It will be a few days probably next week.</script>

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

No worries and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I just received battery and new charger. Battery comes with about 70% charged. When I have both battery and charger on battery is not charging. I remove the AC charger and leave battery alone the laptop stays on. When I support the charger cord at a different angel, battery starts charging for a minute and laptop turns off automatically. After that the laptop won't turn on anymore even when I try to support it the same way i did before. I also try with old AC charger but laptop won't start anymore.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
✓  Best Answer

Suggests a problem with either the DC jack port on the notebook or the charging circuit itself, this was why I asked if the notebook would charge the battery at all and then work ok when using just the charge from the battery.

The DC Jack port is the most likely of the two as they can become loose or worn over a period of time, does the centre polarity pin look as in not bent or loose, what about the actual DC Jack port itself, does that feel secure.

Please note that a faulty Jack port can cause a system short and take out the MB and other components, always best to replace one if in any doubt at all.

A replacement power jack port is relatively inexpensive but replacing one requires being confident enough to almost completely dismantle the notebook and to be good with a soldering iron.

Replacement port here

Replacement guide here

NB: Found a similar thread here

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Please note that a faulty Jack port can cause a system short and take out the MB and other components, always best to replace one if in any doubt at all.

The laptop won't turn on at all. Could it be like you said possibly MB was taken out by system short? Is there a way to test this?

I am quite confident to take it apart and put it back but never done the soldering. I am thinking of taking this to a repair shop. But if MB is gone then I would rather buy a new one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Entirely possible I`m afraid but how much charge was in the battery - any LEDs light up or fans spin etc, could just be that the battery of out of charge.

does the centre polarity pin look as in not bent or loose, what about the actual DC Jack port itself, does that feel secure.

Did you check the above.

If you are confident enough to dismantle a notebook the soldering is less daunting but do you know anyone else who has soldered before.