Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lately my computer sometimes freezes with blue artifacts on the screen

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Jir

Jir

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Hi,

Ever since a few days ago, I have been getting these strange blue artifacts on my screen that freezes my computer and forces me to do a manual shutdown. The first couple of times I got it while I had my computer connected to my TV by a HDMI cable, and I kept trying to open Playback Devices under Sound, but it would not load. I kept clicking it and then it happened.

Today, I was just playing a game (Roblox, not even a graphic intensive one) and it did it in the middle of playing.

Very strange. Please help me!

Attached Thumbnails

• weirdartifactsscreen.jpg

Edited by Jir, 11 February 2018 - 03:47 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

Hello Jir,

Have you tried starting the computer in safe mode to see if you get the same problem.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Can you also post the brand and model name or number of the PSU if the computer happens to be a desktop.

Jir

Jir

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Hello Jir,

Have you tried starting the computer in safe mode to see if you get the same problem.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Can you also post the brand and model name or number of the PSU if the computer happens to be a desktop.

Hi Phil,

Sorry for the late reply.

I haven't tried running it in safe mode.

Here is my Speccy link: http://speccy.pirifo...2AfEqKktSZjLxBI

I have a Sager NP8677 / Model Number: P670RE3.

What would cause the Playback devices window to not load? It's really annoying.

I feel like this all might be some driver problem, but I'm not sure. Maybe a corrupted driver? Why would it cause those blue artifacts though?

Edited by Jir, 15 February 2018 - 09:42 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

No worries, we understand that you may have other things to attend to  :thumbsup:

Bit pushed for time atm so could only take a brief look at Speccy but did notice that you have two AVs programs running, bad idea, the programs can conflict, cancel each other out leaving you unprotected + can cause various other problems such as lag and internet connection problems, please see info below;

Antivirus
Webroot SecureAnywhere
Antivirus: Enabled
Company Name: Webroot
Product Version: 9.0.19.43
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Disabled
Malwarebytes
Antivirus: Enabled

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 (Defender info courtesy of admin).

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

Malwarebytes Cleanup Utility here

Webroot uninstall info

Decide on which AV you wish to keep, uninstall the other, restart and test, if still the same issue please try restarting in Safe Mode only (no networking) then post back with an update for us.

Jir

Jir

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

That has nothing to do with this and doesn't help at all...

Maybe these will:

https://expirebox.co...fd461049b3.html - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD LOG 

https://expirebox.co...6ac8870ac4.html - CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD LOG

Speccy log: http://speccy.pirifo...xI5V7ooPScBQkNi

Those are the BSOD's I have been getting lately.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
That has nothing to do with this and doesn't help at all...

I can`t do anymore than make sure that you are aware of the potential problems of having more than one AV installed, admin who is well versed in such things advises the following in a GTG tutorial here;

Important note: Geeks to Go highly recommends uninstalling any other antivirus software BEFORE installing another antivirus application. Antivirus programs often conflict and can cause system slowdowns, crashes, or even leave you unprotected. 

If you have crash dmps that you would like someone to take a look at use the following steps to zip and then upload them;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the More Options tab, Choose File then the Upload a File tab.