Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sometimes black screen, complex issue (Resolved).

Best Answer Poizan , 20 February 2018 - 05:22 AM

You are not gonna believe this! Went with the pc to some service guy and he did all the steps required...he removed the vga , he tried to update bios, he checked the pins from CPU and applied new p... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Poizan

Poizan

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello everyone. I hope you can help me.

We build a pc from scratch, and it worked. But after 2 weeks or so it started to have a issue, would not boot, the Power would go on for a sec and then stop, and then start for a sec, and then stop, and so on. We went to a pc repair and they told us that it's the memory RAM that is faulty, so we replaced that, and reset the bios. It's working, but every couple of days it won't work properly.

More specific: it starts, no bios screen, goes into a black screen with some writing (i will attach picture), then black with a white blinking line...and stays there. After 3 restarts it boots normally. Or sometimes we discarded the bios settings to make it work. 

We are checking the temperatures, and they are normal. We used FurMark to stress the GPU and prime95 for RAM, watched the temperatures, nothing failed. We disassembled and assembled it, from scratch, checking every cable, every slot, nothing wrong with that (of course we used the motherboard book and everything is where it should be). The GPU is powered separately, with a cable from the power source. I put the configuration bellow, if you have any suggestions I would highly appreciate them.

Thank you.

Configuration:

- power source: nJoy Legion 600, 600W, 80 Plus Silver, Active PFC

- motherboard:  MSI B250M Mortar, Socket 1151 (ram frecquency 2133 2400)

- processor: Intel Core™ i5-7600, 3.50Ghz, Kaby Lake, 6MB, Socket 1151

- video: ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti STRIX GAMING O4G, 4GB DDR5, 128-bit

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DIMM, DDR4, 2400 MHz, CL 16, 1.2V

- hard with windows: (SSD) Kingston SSDNow UV400, 120GB, 2.5", SATA III

- another hard : HDD Seagate BarraCuda® 1TB, 7200rpm, 64MB cache, SATA III

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:welcome:    Poizan.

Two things of note are the poor quality of the brand of PSU and the RAM.

power source: nJoy Legion 600, 600W, 80 Plus Silver, Active PFC

Using an unknown brand of PSU is as bad as using a known poor quality one, would strongly suggest that you remove the add on video card asap to lighten the load on the PSU.

You have 1.2V RAM when the specs of your CPU here say that it requires 1.35V, RAM, if you carefully check the RAM support info for your MB here you will note that what MSI list as 1.35V 2400MHz RAM is actually only 2133MHz, an example is Corsair CMK64GX4M8A2133C13(Profile2) ver4.23 DDR4 2400 2400 Samsung 1.35V DUAL 8GB

Poizan

Poizan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Let me see if I understood correctly:

1. I should remove the power supply from the GPU? so it takes power only trough motherboard?

2. The RAM does not fit neither the CPU or motherboard? So basically I have to take a RAM with 1.35V, 2133/2400 and from the list provided on motherboard site?

Because I could not find any RAM that is DDR4 and 2133/2400 AND 1.35V.... it's usually DDR4 with 2400 with 1.2V.

Edited by Poizan, 17 February 2018 - 10:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
1. I should remove the power supply from the GPU? so it takes power only trough motherboard?

No, you must remove the add on video card from the MB altogether, if you do not the BIOS will detect the presence of an add on video card and disable the onboard graphics leaving you with no display at all.**

The attachment that I have included below shows the three types of video port that the MB has.

2. The RAM does not fit neither the CPU or motherboard? So basically I have to take a RAM with 1.35V, and from the list provided on motherboard site?

The RAM is fine with the MB because it is compatible with various CPUs some of which only require low voltage RAM. 

we used the motherboard book 

To avoid any possible mishaps I would suggest that it is read a bit more closely Poizan.

Poizan

Poizan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I am so sorry, I truly don't understand. Why should I remove the GPU completely? I want to use the dedicated one, not the on board one. I saw the attachment but we don't use those ports, we use the ports from the video card to connect to the display.

So, ram is fine .

But there is a conflict between the video card ASUS and the onboard graphics. 

How can I make bios take into consideration the videocard ASUS and not the onboard, so there will be no more conflict?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge and my English, please have patience with me :D

Edited by Poizan, 17 February 2018 - 11:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
I am so sorry, I truly don't understand. Why should I remove the GPU completely?

No problem, it is always safer to ask if you do not understand something.

Two important reasons to remove the GPU while troubleshooting, 1: GPUs are the most power hungry devices that we use in computers and the power that they require must be clean and stable, you will not get this from a cheap unknown brand of PSU so 2: to lighten the load on the computer and hopefully avoid a cheap PSU going bang you remove the GPU and try the onboard video to see if that works ok, in short the computer does not need so much power + you protect the GPU while you are testing.

But there is a conflict between the video card ASUS and the onboard graphics. 

How can I make bios take into consideration the videocard ASUS and not the onboard, so there will be no more conflict?

This is nothing to do with the BIOS, as previously explained you have the wrong RAM and sorry for being so straight to the point but you have a junk power supply.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge and my English, please have patience with me 

No problem with either  :thumbsup:

Poizan

Poizan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Ok, so I have to buy new ram :D

Ram that is 1.35V and 2400Mhz and DDR4. Correct? 

Can I buy ram 1.35V and 3000Mhz? would that work with the CPU?

What about the power supply? what source would you recommend?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Poizan, 18 February 2018 - 02:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

For us best be able to help you and while protecting your hardware it is important that you follow the suggested steps and then post back to let us know any outcome, you 100% need a better PSU to protect your other hardware so taking steps towards this must be done first.

What is suggested;

1: Post a link to anywhere that you are likely to purchase a PSU from so that we can see what is available, we can then take a look and make a suggestion for you.

2: Remove the GTX 1050 Ti from the motherboard, connect your screen to the appropriate video port on the motherboard and test for at least a couple of hours to see how things go.

Regarding the RAM, the following is for information only at the moment and it is not being suggested that you purchase anything at this time.

If you check the MBs RAM support list here you will notice that it says RAM Speed and then next to that it says Supported Speed, scroll down the list and you will notice that some of the entries say that the RAM speed is higher than what is listed for the Supported Speed, what this means is you can use higher rated RAM but it will only run at the Supported Speed, an example is Apacer AHU08GGB30CDT5H (EK.16GAZ.KEBK2) DDR4 3000 2400 SK hynix 1.35v DUAL 8GB

The figure in red is what the RAM is capable of running at and the figure in blue is the maximum that the RAM has been tested and found to be compatible when run in your MB.

Poizan

Poizan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thank you for your response.

As 1. I don't think you could do that, 'cause the site does not have an English version, sorry....but maybe I can suggest some and you can choose from there? Should I look for some specific brands?

And 2. I tried that... so removed the gpu completely, connected to the HDMI port, started and it dies! I mean it gets power for 3-4 seconds and after dies completely, you can't boot it unless u reset the bios from the battery or jumper. 

I also disconnected one hard and try to boot it only with the windows one, had no effect whatsoever.

It's really frustrating.

Poizan

Poizan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
✓  Best Answer

You are not gonna believe this! Went with the pc to some service guy and he did all the steps required...he removed the vga , he tried to update bios, he checked the pins from CPU and applied new paste, he removed the source and replaced it, etc.

And finally he completely removed the motherboard from the casing, put it on some cardboard and it worked! There was one screw (the type that should support motherboard on it's socket), that was not necessary and was making contact with smth underneath the motherboard....unbelievable .... All this stress for one screw....beeing magnetic and such, I believe the screw short-circuited the motherboard.

I hope this will be end of this story, and us and our computer will live happily ever after, lol.

Thank you so much for your patience! I really apreciate it, and although I don't have a paypal account, please let me know what else could I do, for all the help you offered!

Thanks you again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

So pleased to hear your good news Poizan and thank you for posting the solution so that it may help others  :thumbsup:

Good cop bad cop time from me now Poizan, reading users manuals before building is a must, stand offs inside of a case being misplaced or missed out are one of the main causes of problems such as what you encountered.

Going to a local tech was a good idea and the service that you received from there is to be complimented  :yes: