Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTX 1080 Ti Performance Issues

1080 Ti Performance issue hardware help

• Please log in to reply

Baaki

Baaki

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey, there. Lately, I've been having a few issues with my system as a whole, many of it being linked to my graphics card. I'll list all my specs down below, as well as images from GPU-Z, CPU-Z, and Task Manager.

I'm running a GTX 1080 Ti from EVGA, with an Intel i7-7820X processor and 16 GB of DDR4 RAM. I have a 3TB hard drive as well as a 128 GB SATA SSD. With it, I'm running two 1080p, 60Hz monitors - I game on one, the other is chats or usually idle. I have a liquid cooler (Corsair Hydro H100i V2) as well as ample ventilation in my case, plus either a 700W or 800W power supply - I can't quite remember.

One game I play quite frequently is Overwatch. I would think this is a very simple game to run - it's not exactly Witcher 3 level of graphical fidelity. Overwatch has five graphics presets - low, medium, high, ultra, and epic. I find that while on high or above, and sometimes on medium, my GPU hits 99% to 100% usage - IN THE MENUS. I have it capped at 60 FPS, but I notice that I get sometimes mid-40's for frames for short periods of time. I don't know if this is a software or hardware issue, or both, but I don't think it should do this. I should note that it also doesn't do this all the time - it seems to be random when this happens. I don't have any other programs actively running when this happens, or sometimes I do - it happens regardless of other programs open, it seems.

I also notice issues with my backgrounds - a few times I have moved a window only to discover that my background is completely black - highlighting it brings back sections. I notice webpages not actually loading, as in they say they are loaded but show me a blank screen (these are on any website, from YouTube to Reddit to Wikipedia.) A few weeks ago I was having major issues with Chromium-based browsers - Brave, a browser I was using for quite a while, wouldn't load periodically. It took multiple tries every time I started my computer to get it to load. Chrome itself wasn't quite as bad, loading up but the home screen not displaying and no pages loading. 

In a game like Minecraft, I did a comparison with a person running the same mods as me, but lesser system specs. They had a 4-core Intel i5 and a GTX 1060, and they were consistently getting better performance than I was. I was getting sub-60 FPS in a game like Minecraft versus someone with lower specs.

I also notice, though I doubt this is related... When I start up my computer, I notice one fan starts to spin, but the other on the front of my case takes a few seconds before finally starting to spin. They're dual-240mm fans (I believe), I don't know if that's an issue.

Could power draw potentially be an issue? Due to the outlet set up in my room, I'm forced to use a surge protector - it powers my computer, a charger, and one of my monitors. 

I've also run every virus and malware scan under the sun - from BitDefender, Norton (even though I loathe to use them), SpyBot, Webroot, and MalwareBytes. All come back reporting my system is healthy. Any ideas? 

I am running the latest Nvidia Driver, as well as the latest version of Windows 10 Home.

Finally, I should add that nothing on my system is overclocked.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPU.PNG
  • GPU.PNG

Edited by Baaki, 18 February 2018 - 03:11 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:   Baaki,

Can you find out and let us know the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.