Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Google Chrome search hijacked to Yahoo Search (ugh!)

search chrome google yahoo hijack

• Please log in to reply

blondie53185

blondie53185

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Hi everyone!

Unfortunately, when I search in Google Chrome, I receive results in Yahoo Search rather than Google Search. I've checked my default settings, (still set to Google), searched for any Chrome Extensions that referenced "Search" or "Yahoo" -- all good. I've installed and run MalwareByte - Removed 3 files as indicated below:

File: 3
PUP.Optional.DriverSupport, C:\USERS\JJANO\DOWNLOADS\DRIVERSUPPORT.EXE, Quarantined, [2320], [486292],1.0.4002
PUP.Optional.Conduit, C:\USERS\JJANO\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Sync Data\SyncData.sqlite3, Replaced, [526], [454832],1.0.4002
PUP.Optional.Conduit, C:\USERS\JJANO\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Secure Preferences, Replaced, [526], [454832],1.0.4002

My problem still exists. Can anyone help? 

Advertisements

JeremiahMarcellus

JeremiahMarcellus

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Have you tried deleting/uninstalling Google Chrome then downloading and installing a fresh copy?

blondie53185

blondie53185

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeremiah but that sounds painful for me. I have 7 different Chrome profiles, one for me and one for 6 of my clients. Sounds like it may be a PITA to have to recreate all of them. Do you have any other suggestions?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 7,627 posts
Hi blondie53185,

I have been watching this topic with interest. I am not a Chrome user and I hope that sharing my thoughts are not a waste of your time but I am wondering....

I have 7 different Chrome profiles,

when there are multiple user profiles, do all those profiles have options to set which ever search engine they chose to use or is the search engine (for lack of having no idea what I am talking about) synchronized?

I was going to suggest the Chrome Cleanup Tool, but due to the presence of multiple user profiles I am not sure what will happen.I would hate to make the suggestion only to find that it is not designed to work on multiple profiles. Are you familiar with that utility?

When I return from my errands I'll have more time to research and experiment with my Chrome and I am sure we can find the answer.

blondie53185

blondie53185

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

I was just notified that load.jsecoin wanted to run on my computer. How do I get rid of this?

blondie53185

blondie53185

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Hey Miss Congeniality! I am 99% sure they are completely independent copies of Chrome. I have each one set up for each of the client's gmail, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other programs so it is as if I am sitting in front of their computer. I even have all their bookmarks synched.