Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

replacing desktop

• Please log in to reply

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,653 posts

I want to replace my desktop with a newer one. My concern is that I have a 600w power supply and 1 yr old radeon rx490 graphic card in this one. Am I better off to buy a barebones? Can I buy a desktop from Best Buy and install these items in it? Not that I see anything worth buying at Best Buy at the moment.

Should I shop in used ads to find one that has i7 intel with DDR4 memory and install my components?

Not sure which way to go here and would love any advice given.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Generally speaking, what is the computer going to be used for?

What's the budget?

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,653 posts

1200$(CA) budget before taxes, but willing to go 1500$ if I find the right fit for me

I game a lot, addicted to The Elder Scrolls Online, won't lie LOL

I use dual monitors

I was thinking i7-8700k with z370 mobo, not sure if i need that much power, maybe a high end i5. I've always had AMD in the past, however I read that they are

lacking these days, so intel wins that fight

I thought of using my case and replacing mobo, but it is a mid tower and my RX 480 barely fits.  Looking for a new PC with what I want is just a nightmare. I need my RX480 radeon, it supports dual monitors, it supports VR.

I have never built my own and it is a little scary. My hard drive died after I posted to you guys, like it knew I wanted to replace it LOL

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Intel i5-8400 CPU - $190 (US)
Asus or Gigabyte Z370 motherboard ~$260 (US)

Note that you may be able to save a bit if you purchase the i5-8400 and a motherboard together. For example:

16GB kit of DDR4-2666 RAM, dual channel kit, preferably Crucial $208 (US) or Corsair.

"Why an i5-8400" you ask? Intel i5-8400 review - the best new gaming CPU in years]

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,653 posts

thankx for the heads up on the i5-8400

this is what I have in mind    https://ca.pcpartpic...com/list/v8h6MZ

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Looks good. :thumbsup:

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,653 posts

i came across this desktop at Bestbuy Canada, looks like what I need, except for the graphic card, I have a Radeon RX480 4gb that seems to out perform the RX 560. The price is right and I don;t need to order parts all across Canada and no burden of putting it all together. I was thinking, I can replace the RX 560 with my RX 480, void the warranty, or maybe I can add the RX480 to it, not sure of that is compatible, it does have an extra Pci slot.

what's your thought of my hair brain idea??

https://www.bestbuy..../12058246.aspx?

Comparison of the GPUs can be found here  http://gpu.userbench...-480/3926vs3634

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Can't beat plug 'er in and go. You can always add/alter later. (SSD boot drive would be my first upgrade).