Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any Recommendations For Upgrading?

• Please log in to reply

TeachPower

TeachPower

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Hello everybody.  Its been a long time I've been on this board but I always come back because I value the expertise and help I have received in the past.  I would like to have smooth gaming with high FPS and experience the best visuals the game has to offer.  What do you recommend for upgrading to for CPU, Geforce video card, and/or memory?

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3

CPU: Intel i5-4460 3.2 GHz

Video: Geforce GTX 970 4GB

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (2 sticks)

Regards,

BP

Edited by TeachPower, 19 February 2018 - 03:24 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

What's the budget?

Intel i7-6900K 3.2GHz ~$1,100
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ~$1,100
16 GB RAM ~$175
3840x2160 5ms monitor ~$400
850 watt PSU ~$150

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Most bang for your buck. Definitely not spending $1,000 for one piece or combined.  Given what I have should I only upgrade one of them?  Doing some research I saw that what I have is not bad but of course there is room for improvement.  What would be the economical approach?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You did say "I would like to have smooth gaming with high FPS and experience the best visuals the game has to offer."

The most economical would be to bump it up to at least 8GB of RAM.

A decent SSD boot drive would be more money but, it would also be a more noticeable improvement.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

You did say "I would like to have smooth gaming with high FPS and experience the best visuals the game has to offer."

The most economical would be to bump it up to at least 8GB of RAM.

A decent SSD boot drive would be more money but, it would also be a more noticeable improvement.

I do have 8GB of RAM total.  I have two sticks of 4GB.  Would it make much of a difference to upgrade to an Intel i7 CPU and total of 16GB of RAM?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Noticeable while gaming? No, not really. Gaming needs a fast, powerful GPU, a decent CPU (i5-8400 is fine) and at least 8GB of RAM. A decent SSD makes a world of difference during bootup and while loading games.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

What would you recommend for a GPU?  Should I get an Intel i7?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You don't really need an i7 for gaming.

What's the budget for a GPU?

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

$300-$400. I could sell mine for maybe $150 so possibly $500 max.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

In order to see a performance difference, you need to jump up at least 2 tiers higher on Tom's Hardware Hierarchy list: http://www.tomshardw...archy,4388.html

That puts you over your budget.

It’s not a good time to build a gaming PC. There’s just no way to sugar-coat it. Graphics cards, some of which are coming up on two years old, sell out the moment they appear for sale.
... because cryptocurrency miners are allowing distributors to take steep mark-ups. Results: Obscene pricing for good graphics cards is a problem ... and will be for a while.