Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can anyone help with a Code Signing Certificate?

• Please log in to reply

NC1

NC1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm Nigel from East Sussex in England and I'm new to this site.  I've got a reasonable amount of development knowledge and perhaps I can help someone along the line, but now I need to call on the help of developers with reference to using a Code Signing Certificate.

I've built a programme in Access and wrapped it up in an installer and made an .exe file.  I've bought a Code Signing Certificate for my programme but in the final stages of installing it, I just cant get it to sign my programme.

I've set up my pfx file, set a password and downloaded SDK for Windows 10 (which includes signtool.exe).  I've used Command Prompt to sign my file, but it just wont do it.  It's not unsuccessful, it just doesn't take the command.  Firstly it couldn't find SignTool, so I fixed it with this: set PATH="C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.16299.0\x86\signtool.exe";%PATH%.

Then I added the rest of the prompt so it read:

C:\Users\Nigel>set PATH="C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.16299.0\x86\signtool.exe";%PATH%
Signtool sign /f C:\File path and name.pfx /p password /tr http://tsa.starfieldtech.com/td SHA256 C:\File path and name.exe

(with the file names, paths and password set accordingly) and pressed enter. 

It returned this:
C:\Users\Nigel> (the default prompt).  Nothing else about signing successful or unsuccessful and my .exe file isn't signed.

I then downloaded Visual Studio 2017 and used Developer Command Prompt for Visual Studio 2017, but again, it returned the same results.
So where am I going wrong?  Could it be that signtool.exe in SDK for Windows 10 is not executing?  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nigel.

Advertisements