Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I cannot complete Installation of a Program - Error 1632

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,434 posts
  • MVP

Most likely there is some delay from Avast so removing it will probably help the reboot time.  Agree there should be no need for it after you stop the Wifi.

If I remember correctly pink items indicate no owner shown.  Sometimes that means malware but sometimes it's just lazy programmers.  I haven't see any sign of malware but if in doubt you can submit a file to virustotal.com and see what they say.  Removing the yellow entries is OK.  They are no longer all there.

Advertisements

PhilipW97

PhilipW97

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Good evening Ron,

I removed Avast and did a reboot which came in at 1min 28sec. I then reinstalled Avast from a fresh download and timed the reboot as 3min 04sec. So I reckon that you are right about Avast slowing things down! :-)

I cleared the file not found items via Autoruns and did a virustotal scan which picked up a couple of items, but by only one assessor, so I guess no worries there.

I got rid of the WinDef folder, but haven't found a way to get rid SQL No worries there i was just trying to save save a few megabits.

I think there might be some more things that I could shift to reduce the processing load, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

It seems to me that we are at, or at least approaching, the end of the road here. What do you think?

Philip

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,434 posts
  • MVP

Judging by the last Process Explorer log there's not much more you can do to improve performance.  You can try disabling the WMI service (Windows Management Instrumentation).  I think you can live without it.

I think we have the reboot time problem solved now.  Guess we're about done unless you have another PC lying around.

PhilipW97

PhilipW97

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Good Evening Ron,

Firstly, I apologise for not responding yesterday to your latest message. I have been flat out these last few weeks working on a translation of our new village General Plan, all 549 pages of it! Yesterday was the day on which The Town Council agreed that I had accurately rendered the main points into English from the Castilian and so I was into making minor changes and getting it out to people. Today has been a mixed bag of odds and ends that have been neglected for some time.

Anyway, I now have a quiet evening and time to think about this activity. So I have looked for Windows Management Instrumentation and can't find it. In Autoruns there is a Tab for it, but it opens to a blank page. A search doesn't find it and a search for WMI brings up over 200 hits but nothing obvious. So, perhaps we have already disabled or deleted it.

As it happens I do have another laptop lying around... but worry not, that one I only keeo in case I ever need to use a piece of specially written business analysis software that is a hangover from a previous employment as a consultant and I haven't needed it  in 10 years, but you never know...! It gets booted up every year or so and runs fine so no need and no point in doing anything on that machine.

So, I think we call it a day. It has been a pleasure working with you and I have really appreciated your knowledge, patience and understanding and I am genuinly grateful for the time and effort that you have afforded me. Not only have you helped me to improve the performance of three machines, but also you have taught me a lot about the inner aspects of Windows and taken me down paths that I would never have ventured unaided for fear of wrecking something...! :-)

Should you ever find yourself in Spain please do make contact, we have a guest apartment and would be pleased to host you.

Regards,

Philip

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,434 posts
  • MVP

WMI shows up in Process Explorer as:

wmiprvse.exe        3,684 K    8,128 K    2712    WMI    Microsoft Corporation  

so in autoruns you will see:  wmiprvse.exe

tho it's a Microsoft service so you may have to go into the options in Autoruns to make it let you see it.  I think they hide MS stuff now by default.

Alternatively it's a services so run:

services.msc

to open the services menu, scroll down until you get to Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI).  Try stopping the service.  If that doesn't cause any immediate problems set it to Disabled and reboot.

Nice working with you.  If you ever get over here we're in Melbourne Beach Florida.  Come by and see up (PM me for the address)