Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key

error 1402 office

• Please log in to reply

Gtrainer

Gtrainer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I need some assistance on how best to handle this error message.  I had to reinstall Windows 10 but left the files during the install.  I reloaded all my software.  I loaded both Office 2010 and 2013.  Seemed to work fine initially.  Now when ever I start a Office 2013 application, I get this error message.....(dialog box attached)

Error 1402.  Setup cannot open the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_RESTRICT_FILEDOWNLOAD. 

Verify that you have sufficient permissionos to access the registry or contact Microsoft.........etc.

I tried to go into the registry to see if I could right click and allow for permissions but as shown in image below, when I get to FeatureControl, I cannot see "FEATURE_RESTRICT_FILEDOWNLOAD. " which could be hidden.  I  can right click and choose Permissions but not quite sure how to proceed.

Can somebody assist and tell me exactly what to try here as I don't want to mess around with the registry without knowing step by step what to do.

Thank you.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Right click on Feature Control and select New then Key

Type in

FEATURE_RESTRICT_FILEDOWNLOAD

and hit OK.

If it allows you to create the key then that may be all you need to do.  If it says the key already exists or you don't have the power to create the key then we will worry about the permissions.