Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SWTOR update making my computer run too hot

• Please log in to reply

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

I recently tried to update Star Wars The Old Republic and it made my computer run way too hot so I had to turn off my computer and turn it back on. Can anyone help me explain why this happened? Attached are my computer's specs.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• specs_computer.png

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

First, check to see if all of the internal fans are actually spinning. If one (or more) has failed, replace it (or have ti replaced).

Next, clean any dust from inside the computer with compressed air. Note: Be careful not to over-spin the fans with compressed air. Spinning them faster than they were designed to spin can ruin the fan's bearings. Stick a Popsicle stick or drinking straw through the fan blades to keep it from spinning.

If it still overheats, the next step would be to replace the thermal paste between the top of the CPU and the bottom of the CPU heat sink.

Let us know how it goes ...