Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Satellite C855-2EZ won't go past Toshiba Leading Innovatio

Toshiba Satellite laptop

Best Answer Banners80 , 01 March 2018 - 04:18 AM

All sorted now. I went into BIOS settings, disabled 'secure boot', changed the boot mode from UEFI to CMS, saved it, rebooted with the Windows 10 flash drive connected and reinstalled Windows 10.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Banners80

Banners80

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

My Toshiba Satellite laptop will not load up anymore, it gets stuck on the Leading Innovation screen. It was fine until just under a week ago, then it began to run a bit more slowly so I did a defrag using the tool that came with the laptop. This cleared up some memory (I had about half of my disk space left after it), but when I shut the laptop down Windows forced it to do some updates, ever since then it hasn't worked.

At first, I got to the login section where I put my password in, but it kept going to a black/blue screen, nothing would happen, so I had to do a forced shut down. I did this a number of times by holding the power button down for about 5 seconds. However, I no longer get that far, when I power up the laptop I get the Toshiba Leading Innovation screen and it goes no further - the screen seems to be stuck. The caps lock and number lock buttons work when I press them, but I have tried holding F1, F4, F8, F10, F12, and 0 when trying to boot the laptop up but nothing seems to work.

I have also tried removing the battery, putting it back in but nothing. I tried taking out the battery, holding down the power button without the battery, just the power cable connected, but again nothing. I tried removing the hard drive, I get a message saying no operating system detected and to restart the system. When I put the hard drive back in it's just the same problem again, the same screen is locked. I also even removed and then put back in the CMOS battery, but still nothing.

I've been told to bring up the BIOS menu, but I literally cannot do a thing, none of the keys actually do anything and there are no messages saying "press F2" or anything similar, the laptop doesn't seem to want to boot up.

I didn't get a recovery CD with my laptop, either.

Any help would be appreciated. I've tried asking Toshiba but all I get is an automatic response from Yoko, their robot! She's no use!

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
What is the make and model of your laptop? What version of Windows are you using? Do you have another computer to create possible repair USB/DVD disks?

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

What is the make and model of your laptop? What version of Windows are you using? Do you have another computer to create possible repair USB/DVD disks?

It's a Toshiba Satellite C855-2EZ, it was initially Windows 8 when I bought it but it updated to Windows 10 about 18 months ago.

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I don't have another computer but I can always go round to a family member's if need be.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay we can try to access the Windows recovery environment as follows first.

Press the power on button to start and shut down the computer a 3-4 times, hopefully after a couple of attempts the Windows Recovery Environment will come up where you can try the troubleshooting options. See if you can get to safe mode with or without networking or command prompt and let me know.

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have just tried that and it didnt bring up any recovery menu. In fact, I forgot to mention that when I turn the power off now, I no longer need to hold the power button down for 5 seconds, as soon as I press it the laptop instantly switches off.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

That is strange. You also cannot get into the bios? Try the following methods to try and access bios

Method 1.

Turn off your Toshiba notebook.

Turn your notebook back on.

Press Esc key on boot up.

Press F2 key to enter BIOS.

Method 2.

Power on the computer.

Immediately press Esc key on boot up.

Press F1 key to enter BIOS.

Method 3

Press and hold the Esc key, and power on the computer by holding down the Power button.

The machine will beep to indicate error, with message:

Check System, then press [F1] key.

Release the Esc key.

Press F1 key to enter BIOS.

I recommend create a bootable Windows 10 install disk as follows in order to try other repairs

How to make a bootable DVD or USB via the media creation tool

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I do have a usb flash drive now, I downloaded using Media Creation Tool at my brother's earlier. Also, none of the above worked with the hard drive attached, when I remove the hard drive I can get to the bios.

Another thing I tried before also was removing the two ram sticks and tries to reboot. I removed the first and when I booted up the Toshiba Leading Innovation screen was still locked. I then swapped one ram stick with the other and booted up - this time the laptop powered up but there was a black screen only, only this time to power off I had to hold the power button down for a few seconds again, whereas when both ram sticks are in it switches off instantly as soon as I press the power button.

Sorry if I am giving too much detail, just thought if I told you everything it may be useful for you

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
With the hard drive removed I can access bios by pressing F2.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
That is really strange. Go ahead and connect the drive and see if you can boot into safe mode with any of the options it offers and let me know. Try options 3-8, starting with 4-6

Attached Thumbnails

• FD16C2BE-5026-452D-957D-30D4433995BC.jpeg

Edited by dmccoy, 23 February 2018 - 06:13 PM.

Advertisements

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Nothing works with the hard drive back in. Without it, F2 and 0 both get a reaction, with the hard drive in nothing responds

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Sounds like your hard might be bad. I can’t figure out why it won’t boot to the Win 10 USB though even if the drive is bad. Are you booting to the USB drive you created? Does it give an errors or ?

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
When the hard drive is in, the usb doesnt work. When I boot up without the hard drive the installation screen comes up.

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes, I tried booting to the usb I created. It only works when the hard drive isnt connected though. When I remove the hard drive the little circle at the bottom appears and starts to go round for a few seconds and the windows installation screen comes up then. When the hard drive is in, nothing happens, and if I connect the hard drive while the laptop is on the laptop just switches off. Its all very odd. It seema that my hard drive stops the laptop working

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
One other thing, when I try to boot up with the flash drive in, the first light on the left (there are 3 lights on the laptop) keeps flashing. Its an orange light and the symbol next to it is a power cable and a battery.