Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Satellite C855-2EZ won't go past Toshiba Leading Innovatio

Toshiba Satellite laptop

Best Answer Banners80 , 01 March 2018 - 04:18 AM

All sorted now. I went into BIOS settings, disabled 'secure boot', changed the boot mode from UEFI to CMS, saved it, rebooted with the Windows 10 flash drive connected and reinstalled Windows 10.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
If you haven’t tried this, connect the hard drive, then go into the bios and make sure the flash drive is the First boot device. Then see if it will boot with the flash drive and let me know. Other option is to purchase a USB caddy for the hard drive and connect to another computer to test it.

Advertisements

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Just tried that but sadly no luck still. Also, it appears as though the hard drive isnt being recognised at all. In the bios it sees the usb but not the hard drive.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Ok, what does it show. Does it show Windows Boot Manager or ?. Can you provide a picture?

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ive tried to sort a picture out. https://imgur.com/a/XwBRo

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Ok it isn't seeing your hard drive. You need to either test as I mentioned or replace

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah, I ordered a new one earlier. It arrives in the next few days, I will let you know what happens in case anyone else asks in the future about a similar problem

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Sounds good. Good luck!

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

My new hard drive arrived today, I just put it in the laptop and booted up. This time it gets past the Toshiba Leading Innovation screen, but brings up a black screen with a message saying "checking media", and then "failed". The previous hard drive didn't bring that message up, it simply got stuck on the Toshiba Leading Innovation page. It appears that the new hard drive isn't being seen either. I tried it again by removing the hard drive, going to BIOS, and movign the HDD back to the top again (moving USB down to number 2 in the boot list), but still it does not work.

Does this suggest that the connections on the motherboard are broken? Is there anything else I can try, or is it a case of motherboard repair?

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
How did your prepare your new hard drive or did you just install it first? You still cannot boot into safe mode either? Are their any factory dignositics you can run? Do you have another computer to test the new drive?

Banners80

Banners80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
✓  Best Answer

All sorted now. I went into BIOS settings, disabled 'secure boot', changed the boot mode from UEFI to CMS, saved it, rebooted with the Windows 10 flash drive connected and reinstalled Windows 10. 

The problem must have been the old hard drive as I have connected it to a USB port to test it, when I connect it the hard drive spins and a green light goes on, but it is not detected by my laptop. I've had to start from scratch in terms of programs that I've downloaded/installed  to my laptop, but it's not end of the world. There were some video files that I'd liked to have kept, but it can't be helped now.

Thanks for all of your help.

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
You are welcome. Great news. Nice job