Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCie graphics card strats and dtop (Resolved).

Best Answer kings121 , 05 March 2018 - 05:15 AM

Aaahhhh boy and here is the info....i took the gpu back to the store where they tested it and everything worked fine, they suggested i change my 600w psu to 700+ watt after doing so that did not so... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

kings121

kings121

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No everyone i know has laptops and The gpu came with a 8pin power cable that has 2 6pin connector on one end in which i connect to the psu

The psu is 600w and these tech shop wants alot of money just to to check and fix a computer. I was trying to avoid them :))

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Doesn't your PSU have a 6+2 pin PCI-E power supply that is specifically for add on GPUs.

Know what you mean about tech repair costs but what else can you do, you have an 8GB GPU there that cost an absolute fortune and can`t do anything with it  :(

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
It looks like that card is compatible with your system.

http://www.userbench...70M-ITXac/19693

kings121

kings121

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No the psu has 2 6pins connector where i connect the 6 to 8pin power adapter cable that came with the gpu

as for the gpu i still can return it to the store and have them change it and buy a new mobo....thats my plan if nothing works here 😁

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

There must be different versions of PSU with the same name as I found a couple via Google that say 1 x 6 pin and 1 x 6+2 pin PCI-E, example here

as for the gpu i still can return it to the store and have them change it and buy a new mobo

If the store from where you purchased the card is local you should head there without delay and have them test the card, they need to prove to you that the card works and not the other way around in that you need to prove that the card does not work for whatever reason, always keep in mind that new goods are covered by warranty and that you should be careful not to void it.

kings121

kings121

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The one i have has 2x6 pins but i also have a 500w psu with 6+2 pins connector but i havnt tried it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
 i also have a 500w psu with 6+2 pins connector but i havnt tried it 

As advised please return to the merchant from where you purchased the GTX 1080 card and have them test it for you, the card may have been bad from the outset and as advised you risk voiding any warranty if not done so already.

kings121

kings121

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Will do and will report back here the out come thank a million for helping

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are welcome  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Any news for us kings121

Advertisements

kings121

kings121

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
✓  Best Answer
Aaahhhh boy and here is the info....i took the gpu back to the store where they tested it and everything worked fine, they suggested i change my 600w psu to 700+ watt after doing so that did not solve my problem, still wasnt getting any propper power to the gpu...but i assumed it could only be one thing and that is the mini-itx board couldnt power the standard size 1080 gpu with 2 fans guess i shouldve gone for a mini gpu instead. but i did chang the mobo and the case/tower and everything is gunning at the moment

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you kings121.

i assumed it could only be one thing and that is the mini-itx board couldnt power the standard size 1080 gpu with 2 fans 

The MB was not responsible for supplying power to the GTX 1080 the PSU was, you changed the PSU and had the same problem so that rules the PSU out as the cause and leaves the MB, you changed the MB and the card works fine in that which by the process of elimination means the original MB was the culprit and most likely as was previously mentioned the MB had a problem with the PCI-E slot.

By the by now, we are pleased to hear that you now have a fully functional computer and thank you for letting us know how things worked out  :thumbsup: