Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I get a new computer or just upgrade its graphics card?

Best Answer phillpower2 , 24 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

You are welcome   Regarding the RAM upgrade, your CPU is compatible with 1866MHz RAM but MSI has only tested RAM up to 1600MHz in your MB, that said Crucial 100% guarantee that their 1866... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

axl2468

axl2468

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hi all,

I have an old (5+ years old) computer (probably high mid-end or high-end for its time) that I just got up and running after a year of dormancy.

I'm an avid gamer, and always looking forward to playing new games, but this poses a problem especially if I want to play the new AAA games. Of course, my computer can't handle these AAA games. Because the graphics card is one of the most important part of a gaming computer, should I just upgrade that part? Here are the current specs of my rig:

CPU: AMD FX-6100

Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P21(FX) (MS-7641) (CPU1)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430

RAM: 4 GB DDR3

Power supply: 650W

Thanks!

NOTE: I'm not looking to run AAA games in ultra-high settings, medium settings is fine.

ETA: I know someone who has a spare i5 (7th gen). Maybe I can also replace my cpu with that?

Edited by axl2468, 24 February 2018 - 05:14 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello axl2468,

That is a pretty good CPU so no need to change that atm.

Some questions for you;

What speed is your 4GB of RAM.

What is the brand and model name or number of the 650W PSU.

Your motherboard is the smaller micro ATX type that is often used in small form factor cases (SFF) what size case do you have SFF, mid or full tower, some add on GPUs can be quite large so we need to make sure that there is room inside of the case.

What is your maximum budget for any upgrade/s.

ETA: I know someone who has a spare i5 (7th gen). Maybe I can also replace my cpu with that?

Not doable as yours is an AMD motherboard and therefore not compatible with any Intel processor.

axl2468

axl2468

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

1. 667 MHz

2. Unfortunately, I have some sort of "fake" brand of PSU. Actually, I can't afford buying upgrades right now as I'm still saving.

3. I feel like it's a mid tower as it's height is almost the same as a 24 inch monitor (stand included).

4. Overall, I think $300 but not as an all at once purchase. For graphics cards I'll accept $100 - $200, whatever gives me the more bang for my buck.

ETA: My case's design also makes it hard to put in my GPU. It is kind of hard to fit it through the hole and port at the same time, and I have to force it a little bit in.

Edited by axl2468, 24 February 2018 - 09:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The cost of GPUs is rather high atm due to the demand for them by bitcoin miners, a 3GB GTX 1060 for example was the best priced half decent GPU and that at present would set you back almost $280, add to this that you have a poor quality PSU which will also need to be replaced and you are looking at circa $320.

Best priced upgrade you could do at present and one that would compliment any new GPU would be better RAM and as long as you have a 64-bit version of Windows 8GB made up of 2 Xs 4GB sticks.

axl2468

axl2468

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Thank you for the advice!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

You are welcome  :)

Regarding the RAM upgrade, your CPU is compatible with 1866MHz RAM but MSI has only tested RAM up to 1600MHz in your MB, that said Crucial 100% guarantee that their 1866MHz RAM is compatible or your money back, see results page here

The least expensive RAM that I could find are below;

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 

Patriot Viper 3 Series, Black Mamba, DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PV38G160C9K)

axl2468

axl2468

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Oh, I just found two of these ram sticks on one of my spare computers. Can I either add one of them with my current ram stick or replace my current one with both of them?

https://m.newegg.com...N82E16820139640

(Excuse the mobile link, I'm currently on my phone.)

Edited by axl2468, 25 February 2018 - 08:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If the RAM that you have in your working computer is the same voltage and CAS latency as the Kingston at your link then you could add a single stick to give you 6GB in total.

One of the benefits of having two sticks of RAM is that it will run in dual channel as opposed to single channel as in 1333MHz as opposed to 667MHz.

Please note that you must be running a 64-bit Windows OS to be able to utilise any more RAM than is presently in your computer.