Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB flashdrive "writing"

flashdrive write speed

• Please log in to reply

69Rixter

69Rixter

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Afternoon:

Thanx for having me here at your forum. I'd like to address a problem that is quite prevalent and one to which I cannot find a 'fix". Go all around the "net" and you'll see multitudes of folks with the same enigma. 

Recently, I noticed a flashdrive (pendrive , memory drive, mem stick, jump drive...etc) was 'writing at less than half the speed it previously had been. Started checking my other drives and discovered 5 others with same malady. Got on the web, checked quite a few forums, read dozens of how-to's and yet, I could not find a cause nor repair for this. This USB pendrive problem is wide spread and it baffles me (and all others) that someone has not offered up a cure??? Let me clarify my position: Pendrive suddenly slowed it's writing speed. I want to #1. Identify and correct whatever is causing the problem and #2. Restore the drives to their original factory specs. Example: Kingston DT101G2 16Gb previously wrote @ 7.8+ Mb/s-- at present it's writing @ 1.8-2.2 Mb/s. The "read" speeds are consistent with the original speed. I'm hoping there exists a geek (knowledgeable tech) who truly understands and can rectify this malady. There are many who'd appreciate such a remedy. And please...don't reply if your attitude is the drives are toast :no: ...I've done too many tests that confirm otherwise!!!

THANX:

:headscratch: Rick

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The more they get written to the slower they get. The chips in them have a finite number of times they can be written to. After that, that's it. The chips are used up, done, and cannot be fixed. Oh I supposed the chips could be replaced but the cost would probably be ridiculous ... way more than a new one for sure.