Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No chat box

- - - - - Geeks to Go Live Chat

• Please log in to reply

preacherswife

preacherswife

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

I have used Geeks to Go live chat for years and November of 2017, I had Malware on my computer and my computer guy came and picked it up and repaired it.  Up until that time, I used Geeks to Go for live chatting and all was well.

I have a computer question and when bring up the Geeks to Go page which is, http://www.geekstogo.com/help/there is NO chat box.

I really need this fixed so I can talk to someone.  Can someone help me?  I have also installed IRC if that makes a difference.

Thanks!  Looking forward to help with this much needed question!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Hi Preacherswife! I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with chat - let's get you sorted so you can come and talk to us again. Let me clarify your issue first. Do you see this in the upper right corner of your screen?

live chat.PNG

If so, when you click on it does it take you to this screen:

live chat.PNG

Let me know the answer to that and we'll go from there. :)

sari

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Hey Sari!  So good to see you're helping me! 

When I first click on the Geeks to Go forum page, the live chat is in the upper right corner.  When I click the live chat at that time, it takes me to http://www.geekstogo.com/help/and there is not chat box on this page.

This is what it says...

Live Chat (IRC)

Welcome to Geeks to Go Live Chat. There are many websites that offer live tech support, the catch is they charge a lot of money for it. Some charge a flat rate per incident and some charge per minute. Here the help you receive from volunteers is FREE. Not every problem can be solved via chat, so you may be referred to our forums. This is especially true for malware removal, or complex issues. Chat is a good place to ask a quick tech support question, ask for help if you’re having trouble using the forums, or to get to know fellow geeks.

Geeks to Go uses IRC (Internet Relay Chat) to offer live help. IRC is a text-based chat system that allows millions of people around the world to communicate in real time. Note that not all users appearing in a channel are currently active, or may be active in other channels. After asking your question please expect a few minutes for a response. If you don’t get a response, please try back at another time, or create a new topic in our forums.

Important note: Simply ask your question. If someone has an answer, they’ll reply.  Some of us are at work, so we may answer slowly.  Please be patient.  This chat has a 200-character limit, so it may get cut off if you type too much.

Under this description, there is supposed to be a chat box, at least, that's where I've always found it.

Thanks!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

What browser are you using? When I clicked on it using Chrome, I was asked to update Flash, but this is a new computer. I have also tried Internet Explorer, and it's working there. I get all the verbiage you get, but eventually the login box pops up. 

When you say you've installed IRC, what do you mean? There is a chat client called mIRC. If we get this configured for you, you won't need to rely on the Geeks to Go chat box.

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Sari, I am using Firefox (always have) and Windows 10.  I installed mIRC on my desktop.  The reason being, I thought I remembered having to use it in times past.

However, we need to configure this, will work for me.  Y'all are the pros are and know what to do. 

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Sorry, I started to post instructions, but my daughter just gave birth to my first grandchild. :wub: I will post tomorrow so we can get you back into chat. 

sari

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Well congrats on becoming a grandma!  What a wonderful blessing from God the creator and giver of all life!  Hope all is doing well! 

Edited by preacherswife, 01 March 2018 - 11:19 PM.

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Sari, I haven't heard from you since March 1.  I hope nothing is wrong. 

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

I am so sorry I haven't replied earlier. Grandchild, home improvements, and my office moved to a new building, with me in charge of all of the data and voice services. Granddaughter is fine, home renovations are almost done, and I survived the office move. 

So you have mIRC installed. Open it. 

In the main window enter your nick name (Preacherswife). You can enter a second name if you want to. Click OK.

Main screen.PNG

On the next screen, you’ll want to select your server. Click on servers and scroll down until you find Geekshed. Then click on Select to the right. 

select server.PNG

. On the favorites screen, type in #geekstogo in the box at the top. That should be enough to get you into our chat. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Favorites.PNG

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

So glad to hear all things are well!  Life is rather busy at times and we just have to deal with it as it comes!

I did what all you said and I have a chat box open but it's not the one I'm used to being on when using Geekstogo.  Actually, there are 2 chat boxes open.

One is a box that has #geekstogo (EFNet, preachers) [1] [+nt].  To the right of that where names should be of those who are chatting is @preachers.  I'm the only one there.

The other box is Status:  Preachers [+i] on EFNet (irc.underworld.no:6667) (00:11)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

connect.PNG I like mIRC in general, but one of its flaws is that it tries to choose the network for you, instead of joining you to the one you want. You're connected to Efnet, not Geekshed. You can create a channel on any network by simply typing /j #channelname, so it let you create a channel called #geekstogo on the Efnet network. 

I think I might have missed a step, looking at my instructions. I have everything set up to happen automatically, so I had to recreate the steps to start from scratch. After you select Geekshed as your server, does it come up with this box again?:

connect.PNG

In that window, you have to click connect. In the field where it says server, it should say Geekshed. (I know it doesn't in my picture, I was just bringing up the window to show you.)

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Blackiyto, thank you but the chat box is back and I'm able once again to chat.  Thanks for your time!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Feenalauren,

I'm not sure how you saw a message like that. This is what I see when I go to our Live Chat link:

live chat.PNG

There is no message that states that states that chat boxes are worthless. Live chat is better for quick questions. If you really need help with something, it is much better to post in the forums so there can be detailed advice offered.

sari

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Just to add, the chat box we use requires Flash. Most modern browsers block Flash by default. I'll see if we can find a better solutiuon that doesn't rely on Flash. :thumbsup:

The-Cat

The-Cat

• Pip
  • 2 posts

<script type="text/javascript" nonce="9d2a8a4e15524d718d08f6c318f" src="//local.adguard.org?ts=1581365810884&type=content-script&dmn=www.geekstogo.com&css=1&js=1&gcss=1&rel=1&rji=1&stealth=1&uag="></script>

Just to add, the chat box we use requires Flash. Most modern browsers block Flash by default. I'll see if we can find a better solutiuon that doesn't rely on Flash. :thumbsup:

Discord.