Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(laptop)Should i put additional 8gbram into Primary ram slot or second

additional ram laptop notebook primary slot secondary slot ram

• Please log in to reply

knightjia97

knightjia97

• Pip
  • 2 posts

So ,I just bought a Lenovo y520 laptop , it has following specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz - 6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz
4GB DDR4 RAM
1TB SATA HDD
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5
15.6" FHD IPS Display
Windows 10 Home

So, my laptop has an empty slot
and i want to add another 8gb ram to make it 12gb ram in total,
(I checked the compatibility, this 8gb ram matches my laptop's ram frequency, volt and stuffs)

This laptop has only 2 ram slots, and my question is , should i put my NEW 8gb ram into the first slot(primary slot), or the second slot?Does that matter at all?I've heard people saying I should put 8gb into primary slot, but I dont get why. Anyone has explanation? 
Thanks in advance!

Edited by knightjia97, 05 March 2018 - 03:46 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

your laptop will run faster if you have memory installed with matching pairs.  4x4 or 8x8 for example.  That said, your laptop will work just fine with the additional memory no matter which slot you install it in. 

knightjia97

knightjia97

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

your laptop will run faster if you have memory installed with matching pairs.  4x4 or 8x8 for example.  That said, your laptop will work just fine with the additional memory no matter which slot you install it in. 

Already heard tons of people with that answer  :no:  :no: , my question is IF I DONT MATCH 4x4 or 8x8 but I WANT 4+8 (cause im on budget),  that will give me 12gb ram, which ram slot should i put 8gb in, primary or secondary, or it does not matter at all... this is the question I am asking for.. :smashcomp:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

as I stated before, it does not matter which slot you add them new ram to.