Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen on Start up

• Please log in to reply

Namir

Namir

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
:tazz:

Ok first thing is First.
I get the standard windows update message (SP2) and then it tries to restart the computer.
It says Windows update will restart in (countdown) it gives me 2 option restart now or later. I click later

When im finished I go to start and Shutdown that way.
I power the computer back up and I get the Emachine logo at first (like always) but then rather then going to a windows XP is loading page I get a Black Screen with a Short Flashing white line in the top corner of the screen where my computer stays.

I Called Emachines but they wouldn't help me as i'm out of warrenty, and recomended a complete restore to factory settings. An option I am not to happy with.

All My Documents are backed up onto a secondary Hard drive. So I risk loosing nothing but alot, no a uber but-load of time getting back to where I am now.

I Can put in my Norton Antivirus 2005 disk and the computer reads it and gives me 2 options...
1: Boot from drive
2: Boot from Disk
... I booted from disk once and 1 second latter it had completed its scan of 0 files and 2 boot records.

But I can click 1 and boot from hard drive and it will run like normal.

I uninstalled the most recent Automatic Updates and did a restore to a point a few days back to see if eather of those solved the problems.

But alas, No...

Do I need to do somthing so my computer restarts from the Harddrive Initially, like it should?

Or is their Somthing else wrong, and how do I do ether?

Or could this be a Hardware Problem and why?

Thx, for any Input....

---Namir

Advertisements

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Go here:http://support.dell....1170&l=en&s=dhs]Blank Screen or Display Errors Upon Reboot After Performing Microsoft® Windows® Update[/URL]
If you cannot click on it copy and paste it in your browser. Even though this is not Emachines this should still help. :tazz: ;) ;) :tazz: ;) :) :ph34r: :woot: :hug:

Namir

Namir

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
;)

Arg, no luck I changed the display sttings to what it recomended, but no luck.
I also, cannot restart in VGA mode becouse the issue is that Widows isn't starting on its own to begin with.

Why isit that it works when I tell it to boot From Drive with the Antivirus Disk but it dosn't work without the Disk in it?

thx tho,
Any other ideas?

---Namir

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Check all the settings. Try another monitor if you have one.

Namir

Namir

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ahh you miss understand me a bit. The Problem is more of a boot Problem I turn on the computer, Get the Emachine (e) logo. and Then I get a Black Screen with a little flashing white line, If I put in the Norton disk then I Can boot from the Hard drive but it does not automatically do that. Then it works fine.

Edited by Namir, 18 June 2005 - 06:00 PM.

Namir

Namir

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
... bringing this up on list so others may see it ...
;)