Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not so random shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

St3liz

St3liz

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi,

I have an HP G4 250 and fairly recently it has started to shut down without warning.

It does this when the power is not connected. The battery can be fully charged (93% is as high as it gets) and it will shut down within a few minutes of start up. I have used the HP battery diagnostic which states that it is functioning normally.

Any suggestions on what could be the cause of this?

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello St3liz,

That behaviour suggests a bad battery.

With the AC adaptor connected and powered on, hover the cursor over the battery icon on the taskbar so that you can see the charge remaining % then disconnect the the DC jack from the notebook to see if the charge remaining % starts to drop quickly before the notebook shuts off.

St3liz

St3liz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

I tried your suggestion and the battery level dropped from 93% to the mid 60's in 10-15 minutes and then shut down.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No worries, we all have other things to attend to so understand that there can sometimes be a delay between replies.

The battery can be fully charged (93% is as high as it gets) and it will shut down within a few minutes of start up.

I tried your suggestion and the battery level dropped from 93% to the mid 60's in 10-15 minutes 

Not sure what you have done but the notebook now takes up to 15 minutes to shut down as opposed to the few minutes you mentioned in your OP.

Not sure what version of Windows you are running but the power settings are very similar in any event, go into the Control Panel > Power Options and check at what battery % charge the notebook is set to shut down, check all other shut down options while you are there, see my example attachment below;

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you St3liz, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.