Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How does Verizon FIOS work?

• Please log in to reply

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I just recently got a notice about how they installed Verizon FIOS in my area and my question was, if I were to purchase it, how would they install it in my house?

I believe that they would create an outlet of its own, but is it possible to hook up that outlet to their router and then use a network adapter for my computer? Because there's no way they could hook any outlet in the room with my computer due to problems with drilling into the wall..

Also, is the outlet similar to like of a cable outlet?

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I have never heard of VZ FIOS, but apparently it's something very new involving fiber optics that doesn't just stop at the pole outside. They attach a box to your house, install Cat5 if needed, and set up your router if needed. I got the following info from: http://www22.verizon....asp#install_q1

Installation

1. What's involved in the Verizon Fios Internet Service Installation process?
Prior to ordering your new Verizon Fios Internet Service, please check to make sure that your computer meets our system requirements. Our system can verify or you can print instructions on how to manually check all of your computers. When you place your order for Fios Internet Service, you will schedule an appointment time for a Verizon technician to come to your home to conduct the installation process.

Depending on your location, we may need to bury the new fiber cabling from our area terminal to your home. This will typically take place prior to your installation date, and you are not required to be present for this portion of the installation.

On the day of installation, our technicians will need to install an Optical Network Terminal or ONT onto the outside of your home if one doesn’t already exist. As a safety feature in case of a power outage, the ONT is equipped with a battery backup unit that will be installed inside your garage or home.

Our technician will also install special data wiring, if necessary, called CAT5e, and any required wall jacks, along with installing and configuring your router on your primary computer.

2. How long will it take to install my new Verizon Fios Internet Service?
Installation time can vary based on a number of factors, but we recommend that you reserve about four hours for the Verizon Technician to complete the installation of your Verizon Fios Internet Service. If you have asked for multiple computers to be configured on your order, add an additional 30 minutes per computer. A person 18 years of age or older must be present for the full installation visit.

3. What is included with the free installation?
Our technicians will do all the outside work, including installing any required network equipment such as the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and Battery Backup Unit. They will also run Cat5 wire from the ONT to your new router and install a special Ethernet wall jack, if necessary. We do not fish walls, but you may hire someone to come out prior to our installation to wire your home with Cat5 or higher grade wiring if desired.

As part of the free installation, we will also activate your service, configure your Verizon Online-provided router and connect and configure one computer. Additional computers can be configured for $75 each, which includes the connection and set up, as well as any wiring needed. Please ensure your computers meet our system requirements for the speed package you’ve ordered prior to your installation date.

4. How will I know when my Verizon Fios Internet Service is ready?
Your Verizon Fios Internet Service will be up and running after you complete the registration process on the day of your installation. Prior to leaving, the Verizon technician will ensure you are getting the best performance possible by checking your computer settings and updating them if necessary, along with showing you some of the key benefits of Fios.