Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to make a game like runescape?!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

soulsword23

soulsword23

• Pip
  • 6 posts
how could i make a game like runescape of my own thats is what i really wanted to do!

Advertisements

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I dont know Runescape too much.

but it's most likely made with C/C++ or their own language (language made with C/C++ prolly)

soulsword23

soulsword23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
o ok well if u ever find out any thing about that i would really like to no :tazz:

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
runescape is written with Java, not C/C++. If you wanted to make an online (web browser) game like runescape then learn java, but if you only want to make a clone of it (like an offline version) then you should learn C/C++.

-Zac

UltraAyla

UltraAyla

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
The thing you need to understand about prgramming is that it takes practice before you can jump right into a project like that - start with the basics - do a few text based programs - get GOOD at them, theen start advancing your knowledge with ever-more challenging programs until you work your way up to games like runescape. This is not to say that it cannot be done, but that your code will be much more likely to be patchy and inefficient (and in programming, efficiency is KEY).

Here are some links to help you get started:

http://www.cplusplus.com/ - for your cplusplus needs
http://java.sun.com - for your java needs (there's a tutorial SOMEWHERE in there)
http://www.devshed.com - a STRONG programming and development community that could likely better assist you with programming - however, I'm sure anyone here would be happy to

You could also go to your local bookstore or library and find a wealth of information about programming - good luck!

remintellegere

remintellegere

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Runescape would be in incredibly difficult project for even a development TEAM. Much less one person. I agree, Java is the language to go with. In addition, they more than likely use Java Server Pages(JSP) to govern the user/database input/output querys. In addition to programming, you'd also need to create the maps, models/sprites, and sounds.

If you want to learn how to create games, try using the Half-Life SDK. Its for the original version, its not that hard to learn(being and C++ based language but very striped down), and the engine is already included. You can download it here. If you want more information, go to Valve's developers website at The Collective.

Granted, this ALSO may be a little complex for a new programmer, its a good start. You can edit the files as you please(make sure you use the full version) and see the end result.

I know you can do it in time. I've made 3 Half-Life 2 mods on my own in addition to helping on 4 others. The Source SDK is also a good place to start if you have Half-Life 2

bublu

bublu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
u guys if u know n e good rs2 cheats plz tell me runescape cheats
but it better not b a scam so plz tel me if u know n e
respect!!!!!!! :tazz: :help: :beer: ;) :help: :beer: ;) ;) :) :help: ;) ;) :yeah: :yeah: :tazz:

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

u guys if u know n e good rs2 cheats plz tell me runescape cheats
but it better not b a scam so plz tel me if u know n e
respect!!!!!!! :tazz:  :help:  :beer:  ;)  :help:  :beer:  ;)  ;)  :)  :help:  ;)  ;)  :yeah:  :yeah:  :tazz:

View Post

I'm going to have to ask you to not post things like that here as that is not what these foums are intended for.

ggordie

ggordie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
dude, by the time you learn to program computers well enough that you can write a good game, you wont want to anymore.

remintellegere

remintellegere

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
It took me 10 minutes to decipher what bublu said. This isn't a cheat site. They exploit the game to make themselves better because they won't sit down and make themselves better at the game the good old fashioned way.

Don't be a cheater, be a gamer. Learn to play the game better. Hackers and cheaters ALWAYS get their own. Like the Standby glitch on Halo 2, everyone who used it is now banned from XBL.

(Does this please you ggordie?)

Edited by remintellegere, 16 July 2005 - 06:10 PM.

Advertisements

ggordie

ggordie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
there's no honor in hacking/cheating, but where's the honor in gaming in the first place. they were intended for people to have fun with.

and honestly, how many people are gonna know What the... the standby glitch in halo 2 is?

ggordie

ggordie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Personally, I hate Runescape. I also hate cheaters/hackers...

it wasn't intended to be place to express personal opinion either.

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Hey, i also hate runescape ;)

Dual, dual-core AMD Operton 400's
dual nVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra's(512 MB)
2 Gigs of Corsair dual channel LL ECC ram
Liquid cooling
dual 19" LCD monitors
Bose Companion 3
Windows XP Pro 64-bit edition
4x250GB SATA HD's on Raid-0 array

All that and you still use windows XP, what a waste... :tazz:

How about switching to linux and getting the most out of your pC?

Edited by ratmilk, 16 July 2005 - 07:42 AM.

remintellegere

remintellegere

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Used RedHat 9, hated it. It slowed my performance even. Yes it was set up right, my uncle who is an IT professional set it up.

XP is great operating system despite what everyone thinks. Especially 64-bit edition. I have custom 64 bit applications for it.

If XP wasn't a great operating, then why does Saint Anthony hospital of Oklahoma City use it to control one of the most advanced tumor removal toosl, the Cyberknife Synchony? If it works for them, its sure as whatever good enough for me.

Besides, XP works with all of Google's API's. Down with Microsoft, Linux, and Mac, up with Google.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Linux doesn't get the most out of your machine. It just limits it. I used Linux. Hated it. Too limited. In my opinion. Programs that are free/Open-source are crap. Good programs are made when the programmers are being rewarded for their work. Its like mowing the lawn and getting no allowance. Firefox is the only exception to this rule. Well and maybe Ubuntu Linux. Thats also why websites have ads. Because if the site is well made then it becomes popular and the webmaster benifits from the company supplying the ads. People do good work for money. Bottom line. Well except Microsoft. Windows could be so much better. But, it is worth the money. So don't be cheap and give me none of that.

SORRY FOR THE BLOCK OF TEXT.