Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows turns black shortly after startup (possible due to esvhnqcv.sy

• Please log in to reply

Viper Jr.

Viper Jr.

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

It seems that I recently got infected with virus/malicious software on my desktop computer. Upon starting the computer and entering Windows, everything turns black after a few seconds, and I can't do anything other than turning the computer off (by pressing the Power button). In addition to this, a lot of programs seems to have installed themselves as well, although I am not sure if these are truly dangerous programs or just bloatware or something similar. I think Malwarebytes Anti-Malware were also uninstalled, but I am not sure at this point (since I reinstalled it). My System Restore Points seems to have be removed as well. As off now, I have unplugged the Ethernet cable as well as a HDD I had as media storage.

Since I can't really do anything in normal mode, I have tried some things in fail-safe mode (without network connection):

• Running several full (and manually updated) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scans (including root kits).
  • Running several full Microsoft Security Essential scans
  • Running Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
  • Running (and manually update (as best as I managed)) Spybot Search and Destroy 2.0
  • Running Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit

I also tried to in normal mode start with just the basic startups via msconfig, but that did not change anything.

During this, several infected files where found and removed, all of which where located at the C-disk (Windows partition). Unfortunately, I did not save any of the logs. However, a certain "esvhnqcv.sys", labeled as a rootkit by Malwarebytes, were not successfully removed (despite several reboots) until I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, after which all scans come up empty.

I know that I am supposed to provide a FRST-log with the topic, as per the instruction on the Malware removal guide. However, since I can't navigate the computer long enough in Normal mode to do this, I am unsure whether I should run it in fail-safe mode or not.

I am at a loss here, since I really don't know how to approach this. I would be very grateful if anyone would offer their time and expertise. I will gladly make a donation for your help.